Antenna help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ronnie131

Premium Subscriber
Hi, I got the WS 1040 scanner and I got my channels programmed in but I'm not getting everything and sometimes it doesn't come in clear. So I was wondering if I bought a new antenna for the scanner would that improve it.

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
Ummmm...if you tell us where you are....and what you are listening to and a bit more info on the problems, a lot more help will be forthcoming.....

Ronnie131

Premium Subscriber
I'm in Columbus Ohio and I'm listening to Columbus police zone 3 and Columbus fire. Sometimes it comes and choppy and its hard to understand it and sometimes it comes in clear. So I was just trying to figure out if I bought a antenna would it be better then the antenna that came with the scanner.

SCPD

QRT
Just about anything would be better than the stock rubber duck.
I would suggest a ground-plane antenna if you are using the radio as a base listening post.
Good luck.

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
I'm gonna bow out and hopefully someone local to you will chime in. But checking the IMARC system sure sounds like you could be suffering from the dreaded multi-site dilemma! A better antenna might fix it, might not. It might be that you are hearing too well....too many sites on the same frequency.

Someone in OH and hopefully Columbus help this member out!!!!!

Ronnie131

Premium Subscriber
I'm gonna bow out and hopefully someone local to you will chime in. But checking the IMARC system sure sounds like you could be suffering from the dreaded multi-site dilemma! A better antenna might fix it, might not. It might be that you are hearing too well....too many sites on the same frequency.

Someone in OH and hopefully Columbus help this member out!!!!!
Thanks.

wbswetnam

Whenever I have visited big metropolitan areas, I have created favorites lists with the specific services I wanted to monitor, then I chose a single site to monitor from. In other words, I did not give the scanner multiple tower sites but I forced it to use only one tower site. I have done this with systems in Minneapolis, MN and New Orleans, LA with a Home Patrol 1 and a RS Pro-668. As far as I could tell, the multi-site problem was solved and I was able to monitor those metro areas beautifully.

wbswetnam

You have a Whistler 1040, so if I were you, I'd create a scan list for the agencies you want to monitor, then I'd give it only this one site to monitor:
348 1 (1) 010 (A) Columbus City Franklin
Try it and see if it behaves better. I'm willing to bet it will be much improved for you.

Ronnie131

Premium Subscriber
You have a Whistler 1040, so if I were you, I'd create a scan list for the agencies you want to monitor, then I'd give it only this one site to monitor:
348 1 (1) 010 (A) Columbus City Franklin
Try it and see if it behaves better. I'm willing to bet it will be much improved for you.
OK I will give it a try. Thanks a lot for the help. I'll post back with results later.

Status
Not open for further replies.