Antenna hidden in plain sight

Status
Not open for further replies.

glock35ipsc

Since I originally posed this I have been making and trying all sorts of different ideas. I currently have an Arrow-style open stub j-pole on the rear deck painted to match, and a Fong DBJ-1 disguised as a plant on the front porch. But my favorite one so far is a Moxon style antenna I made with 1/4" wide adhesive copper tape around a piece of cardboard from the back of a note pad. This one sits in front of the window by my chair, and is pulling in repeaters that I couldn't get before. Thanks for all the ideas!

rapidcharger

How 'bout a flag pole that doubles as an antenna. That way, it doesn't sound like you're trying to get away with something. :)

You're more likely to get written up for a flagpole than an antenna.
I have extensive experience with this subject.
Typically you need to get permission to install a flagpole. Even though the community's governing documents allow for you to have a particular type of flag or flags, erecting a flagpole can be a different subject altogether. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but sometimes when you go asking for permission, they're going to want to see the finished product up close or have other design standards for it.

On the other hand, an antenna somewhere in the back yard, if you don't go telling anyone about it and it can't be seen from the road and it isn't something that the neighbors can really see all that well, will go unnoticed.

kd1sq

Database Admin
Here you are. Should fit the bill nicely. Completely invisible AND up on the roof in the open.

I live in an HOA, so I'm brainstorming some hidden in plain sight locations for a 2m/70cm antenna, I don't have a great deal of space in the attic, but putting a simple ground plane up there wouldn't be terribly difficult.

But as I'm looking around tonight, I'm wondering if an Arrow j-pole, or even a Slim Jim, would work mounted to the backside of my porch beam? Would being mounted right up against this structure (well, about an inch off of it) degrade it efficiency, or mess with SWRs?

View attachment 82321

wowologist

Certifiable
You also didn't mention if you are using a mobile (~50w) or a handheld radio(~5w) and if your JUST RX or if you plan on TRx. If its a handheld, your going to end up losing just about anything "gained" from the antenna height on the ~50' coax losses alone. And a note on certain peoples commercial sales of J-poles ....if it works for you...so would a metal coat hanger FYI, costs a lot less and YOU get the experience of making an antenna that works FOR YOU..at YOUR location. J-Poles and slim jims are easy to make, almost as easy as a 1/4 wave GP with welding rods soldered onto a so-239 panel connector.

Last edited:

W5lz

To answer the question, yes, it will "mess" with the SWR. Should be able to just re-tune it though.

cpfinlay

Feed Provider
The Ventennas option is pretty dang cool!

I highly recommend these. Used them for many years in a very tightly controlled HOA neighborhood. Very good results. The one at the top is the dual band model. The one on the left is the SWL version (comes with pre-amp) and the lower one on the right is the scanner antenna. The roof has that tech-shield which mandated outdoor antennas but also provides a great ground plane!

Last edited:

Ubbe

The roof has that tech-shield which mandated outdoor antennas but also provides a great ground plane!
Do you have antennas at the other side of the roof as well? The roof shields off you signals coming from other directions, except the one that sits at the very top.

/Ubbe

Last edited by a moderator:

cpfinlay

Feed Provider
Do you have antennas at the other side of the roof as well? The roof shields off you signals coming from other directions, except the one that sits at the very top.
/Ubbe

Good observation! That's why the 2m/70cm antenna is at the top. The house is situated in a direction what worked perfectly since the side with the antennas faces the direction of interest! Just lucky in those regards. Here's the front of the house so you can better tell that the dual-band vent pipe extends above the roof-line.

cpfinlay

Feed Provider
/Ubbe

For digital on the HF band, I have a magnetic loop on a tripod. Above it is a dual-band halo for SSB on VHF/UHF which can extend up to almost 40ft when so desired.

You can definitely operate with hidden antennas. :)

K4RBT

There was an article in QST about suppressing the rf generated by a solar panel and inverter. If memory serves, they had to put fairly large ferrite rings on the leads from every panel. I cannot remember about the inside device suppression. Killed my idea to look for a new house with solar panels. I am too old to be scampering over the roof like a squirrel. It would probably have to be someone in the business.
I will look through my QST magazines to find the article.

Ravenkeeper

I've heard of antennas disguised as flag poles...
How 'bout a flag pole that doubles as an antenna. That way, it doesn't sound like you're trying to get away with something. :)
Many years ago, my 6th grade teacher was telling us that one of his neighbors (in his HOA) was a HAM and had his antenna hidden inside his flag pole. He lived in Spring Valley, CA.

Status
Not open for further replies.