Antenna hole saw

Status
Not open for further replies.

FFRXing

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Anyone know where I can purchase a 3/4" hole saw for a new nmo mount that I'd like to install. I can purchase on the web, but would rather stick with someone in state..

Jim

Rob_K

Feed Provider
I don't know of anyone local but I have purchased from someone in the past that lives in Louisiana. He moved a few weeks ago but I can pass along his contact info if you're looking for one. Just PM me.

He is selling the Antennex branded one.

-Rob

oldtimeradio

3/4 inch bit

I also used a 3/4 inch drill bit for mount holes.
I would wrap electrical tape about 1/4 inch from the end of the bit
so it wouldn't go through the headliner if doing a rooftop install.
The good old days.

That was 46 years ago...

otr

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
I've bought the 3/4" hole saw bits from both Lowe's (last week) and Home Depot (3 years ago). They work fine, try to get one that is made for sheet metal. I've used them on 4 different vehicles now.

My one tip would be to put masking or duct tape down around the area to be drilled. I usually eyeball the location, place the tape, then make measurements and putting a dot (with permanent marker) on the tape itself and drilling through tape and metal simultaneously.Then file the hole's edges to prevent them from abrasing your insulated cable.

joehawth

KB1RRG
Sounds good John,
I rethought my plan of using a drill bit through roof sheet metal. It's much thinner than my previous NMO mount, and I am worried such a large drill bit would tear the metal.
So i decided on a regular hole saw. I bought one from Ace hardware for around ten dollars.

BillyFred

Sounds good John,
I rethought my plan of using a drill bit through roof sheet metal. It's much thinner than my previous NMO mount, and I am worried such a large drill bit would tear the metal.
So i decided on a regular hole saw. I bought one from Ace hardware for around ten dollars.

You made the right decision. This isn't rocket science! One thing to consider is the round piece of metal you drill out will sometime get loose from the saw and drop through the hole. It will be VERY hot,like hot enough to melt into a headliner or seat. If you have help and room a person on the bottom side with something like a small metal cup will contain the shavings as well as the round piece of metal should it escape.

I've got 16 antennas on the current truck and all of them were drilled with a hole saw. I like the Antennax saw because it has a stop and it has finer teeth. I've drilled a lot of holes over the years with it as well as a "normal" hole saw. Be sure you're flat and level and take your time and you'll do fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.