Antenna/Hotspot

Status
Not open for further replies.

roofmoss

Hello - I’m new to all this and have been doing some reading. I am thinking about getting a hotspot. I have a Yaesu ft70 that I basically want to use to monitor the East Coast Reflector. I have a Comet GP 9 antenna that works great For picking up the repeater, but I like use the radio in different rooms of the house and the reception from the repeater is scratchy when not hooked up to the Comet. Is there a device that you can run your coax from your roof antenna into and then use your HT wirelessly to it? If not I have some questions about a hotspot. Thanks for any help!

K4EET

Chaplain
Hello @roofmoss and welcome to Radio Reference!

What you are asking about sounds like you want to do crossband repeat. That is where you would transmit from your Yaesu FT-70DR HT to a mobile/base rig in your shack on one band and that rig would re-transmit your signal at a higher power on the repeater's frequency that you cannot reach when your HT is not connected to the Comet GP-9 Base Antenna.

As for a hotspot, I am looking into those as well. With the right one, your Yaesu Fusion HT can talk to another Yaesu Fusion radio, a DMR radio, a NXDN radio or a P25 radio via the hotspot.

What specific questions do you have?

73, Dave K4EET

roofmoss

Hi Dave -
I’m not quite getting what you mean. I do have a QYT mobile hooked up to the GP-9. You’re saying there is a way to wirelessly use my Yaesu HT somehow through the QYT and GP-9? Thanks. Tim

w2xq

Mentor
Tim, look up crossband setup in each unit's manual. Assuming both radios can handle crossband, the programming should take just a few minutes. HTH.

roofmoss

Unfortunately I just researched my QYT mobile and it can’t cross repeat. Either I buy another radio or get a hotspot I guess. Thanks you guys for the help. I learned what cross repeat is!

K9DWB

QRT
I'm not sure if it helps, but I just saw a review of a hotspot called TGIF Spot with Jason of Ham Radio 2.0. They've got hotspots based on Raspberry Pi in a clear case with a small display built-in. Looks pretty interesting.

KD8DVR

I have an FT70 that I use a hotspot with... similar to the on on the post above. It works great. Can change reflectors from the HT also. I also use hotspots for DMR and D-star....yeah, I have 5. The TGIF spots are highly reviewed and you won't go wrong. You can get the simpler kind, up to the ones with the advanced Nextion display. If you are adventuresome you can also buy just the board and your own raspberry pi and assemble one yourself. The operating system is available for anyone to download. At any rate, there is something for everyone.

The hotspot's range is anywhere in your house and likely your property, depending on the size of your lot. Mine woks everywhere inside and out of my apartment.

bchappuie

Hotspots easy and cheap. Got one of the cheap one's on amazon, use it to cross band from Fusion on my FT-70 to DMR world wide talkgroup. Can also be used exclusively with fusion to connect to hundreds of reflectors and rooms, on Brandmeister.

K9DWB

QRT
I forgot the mention earlier, the TGIF Spot with Nextion display is on my wish list. I think it lists for $279 and can be pre-configured to be ready to go out of the box if desired.

Status
Not open for further replies.