Antenna ID?

RickH

Can anyone help ID this antenna? It is not an SMA or BNC connector, nut will catch on the BNC. Decent reception on local 800mhz system. Find very little on Google.

Attachments

• 3A625159-DA1C-4287-B8B1-439EB8DDD5B7.jpeg
    3A625159-DA1C-4287-B8B1-439EB8DDD5B7.jpeg
    95.6 KB · Views: 41
  • 06DEC8E7-BB95-41E3-AD16-1D2C69DD68D0.jpeg
    06DEC8E7-BB95-41E3-AD16-1D2C69DD68D0.jpeg
    116.7 KB · Views: 42

RickH

Looking at the TNC Wiki, I think that is it. No idea what it came off of, or where I picked it up. Thanks for the heads up!

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I do not believe that is TNC. I have never seen flat areas on TNC. Can you get a better pic looking directly at the male pin with a little more light?

1678994781389.png

MUTNAV

Premium Subscriber
It doesn't look like a BNC to me, the scale of the center pin to outer conductor seems off, also the shield seems to be segmented (for lack of a better description), ALSO, BNC usually has lugs, this looks more like a press fit kind of connector.

Hope that helps.

Thanks
Joel

Golay

It doesn't look like a BNC to me, the scale of the center pin to outer conductor seems off, also the shield seems to be segmented (for lack of a better description), ALSO, BNC usually has lugs, this looks more like a press fit kind of connector.

Hope that helps.

Thanks
Joel
Found the antenna on Ebay and whoever is selling it calls it a BNC antenna.

MUTNAV

Premium Subscriber
Found the antenna on Ebay and whoever is selling it calls it a BNC antenna.

Well, I guess the person with the antennas can try it with a BNC jack and find out.... (it would be nice for the person with the antenna to let us know when they do).

Sometimes things aren't quite how the seem, this antenna has a "mostly" BNC connector without the locking lug part, (its kept attached to the radio with the big screw shell). To make an extension mast, I had to file off the bayonet lugs on an adapter and use a piece of plumbing to get the screw thing to work (as well as other light improvising things).

1679280714269.png

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Not sure which pic your referring to but the one the op posted does not show any threads on the inside like TNC would have. I really believe the OP has a BNC.

I would also think, that Radio World UK, who sells lots of radio equipment would know what a BNC is hence why the one they are selling is labeled BNC

1679329336394.png

MUTNAV

Premium Subscriber
Good point! It doesn't appear that it could mate with another connector given those two flat areas.
The antenna is post 12 has a connector that fit great with a BNC connector, but without the bayonet lugs, it could be like this, a press fit connector.

Thanks
Joel

W5ATX

Premium Subscriber
My hunch is BNC also. my diamond, watson and nagoya rubber ducks with BNC's look the same on the outside , but no flat spots on the inside. I have about 100 misc antennas in the closet and none have flat spots like this. now i have seen SO-239's usually bulkheads with the same flat spots, but never a PL259 to match it. no telling why the manufacturer did this.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
The antenna is post 12 has a connector that fit great with a BNC connector, but without the bayonet lugs, it could be like this, a press fit connector.
Which antenna in post 12? There is a linked and a pic.

Most bnc antennas are a male. Female Bnc have the bayonet lugs.

MUTNAV

Premium Subscriber
RT1319AntConb.jpg

Although the radio end has the bayonets, the actual antenna doesn't have anything for them to latch on to, this is from the PRC68 web site. The actual antenna was held in contact with the big old screw on part.

The radio that I dealt with and made an extension cable and mast for, required the use of a BNC "bullet, with the part that connected to the antenna having its bayonet lugs filed off.

Maybe PRCGUY could help with this if he actually has one available.

Thanks
Joel