Antenna Identifying

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrRevesz

Premium Subscriber
Most likely an old TV Antenna, but either way is this usable at all to listen to any band on the scanner? I'm looking to listen to roughly 33.0000, 100-151.0000, and up in the 400's.... Possibly air....

Or would you guys just recommend getting a new antenna and mounting it up on a pole?

Here's some pics;

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

KC0QNB

yup and directional too (most are) might work but there are better ideas it is also damaged, better off getting a new scanner antenna take the old one off and remount the scanner antenna on the same mast.

byndhlptom

This would be usable in you turned it 90 degrees (elements vertical) and needed to monitor in one direction. Take off (or replace) the two broken elements, use the last good one to repair the second broken section. You'd end up with a fairly wide band log periodic that should work. It will not be omni and 800 may not be great, but hey, it's free!!! If it has screw terminals, it was probably designed for 300 ohm twinlead, use an adapter to go to 75 ohm coax (use RP59 or RG6) and you should be OK (your scanner really won't mind the 75-50 ohm difference....).

Go ahead and try it as is, who knows it may be "usable" as is for now. Basically any 'metal in the air' will recieve. Keep an eye out for an old TV rotor, and really have some fun!

One of the fun things about scanning is experimenting with antennas. If this doesn't work, you can always buy something

wlmr

800MHz would also be fine with this antenna. Don't forget, The top UHF TV channels 70 through 81 were sacrificed to the Cellular and 800 MHz radio bands. It will be directional - but maybe that will be to your advantage!

kirka127

I think I would move the antenna to a different spot. It is to close to the power line.

hoser147

TV. You got the same deal I got all those big tree's around ya. Be extra careful with that power main coming in right there. I would also go along with puttin a new scanner antenna up hardware and all it looks rather old.............Hoser

Don_Burke

I would just hook it up as-is to see if it gets you enough signal.

I would not expect great things at 33 MHz.

By the time you get up there to fix it, you might as well have a new antenna with you.

MrRevesz

Premium Subscriber
Thanks guys for the responses! I ended up buying a new scanner antenna that will either replace that TV antenna or hook it up on a pole to get a little more height.

Status
Not open for further replies.