Antenna in attic vs outside

ih784

Premium Subscriber
Right now I’ve got a homemade ground plane antenna in my attic. It sits at about 25’ high. Would I be better off with an antenna mounted outside mounted at about 17-18’? The 17-18’ would be at my shed and would clear the roof. Which would give me a better signal (in general)?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Depends on what your roof is made out of.

If there is any metal between your antenna and the outside at its currently location, like foil backed insulation, metal roofing, HVAC ducts, etc. then moving it outside may be beneficial.
If it's just a wood shingle roof/plywood sheathing, there's minimal attenuation and having the antenna up higher, even by 7 feet, is a better choice.

ih784

Premium Subscriber
That’s what I wanted to know. It is just plywood and shingles. No metal at all. Answers where this antenna is going or staying lol. Thank you!

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
are you happy with the performance with it in the attic? Anything you can't hear, you want? I ask, cuz my OmniX is in the attic and I have a metal roof, but the majority of what I listen to is repeater or trunking systems, and I have no problem hearing them.

a417

Just went from 30 y/o asphalt shingle roof to a metal tile roof.

Alarm company called and said "what happend on Aug 29th? Your (LTE) base station (RSSI) went from -91dBm to -114dBm that day and has stayed down in the weeds, and frequently times out now. None of your neighbors have the same issue".

OTA split directional array inside attic dropped 1/3 of the stations we used to get.

It all depends on what you need to hear, and what you have around you, as many others prior to this have mentioned.

ih784

Premium Subscriber
are you happy with the performance with it in the attic? Anything you can't hear, you want? I ask, cuz my OmniX is in the attic and I have a metal roof, but the majority of what I listen to is repeater or trunking systems, and I have no problem hearing them.
I’m in the same boat as you but don’t have a metal roof and yeah, I’m hearing everything I want to hear (I think). I just wonder if some agencies maybe using sites on the other side of the state because I know some are that I scanned and added. Lo and behold, it’s the same agency.