Antenna Inquiry

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber
Good evening all,

I am still a relative newbie to the scanner world. I have been listening for a long time but never really knew much about it until more recently.

I currently have two scanners that I am using. A Uniden Homepatrol 2 and a Uniden BCD325P2.

Anyway, I have a dilemma. I recently moved and my new location is in a valley and so I am not getting good signals on a lot of the transmissions around me. They both currently have the stock rubber duck antenna that comes in the box.

I borrowed my friend's antenna, which is the Diamond Antenna SRH789. I noticed a huge improvement in the reception. Here is the detail page:
https://www.amazon.com/Diamond-Orig...604941&sr=1-1&keywords=diamond+antenna+srh789

I was wondering if it would be prudent to purchase two of these for my Home Patrol 2 and BCD325P2. Are there "better" or "newer" versions of this extendable antenna that I should get instead? The frequency information from Amazon is:

"95MHz to 1100MHz AM/FM receiving(at full length), omnidirectional telescoping structure, folds at base. Specifications: Bands: 1/4wave(95 to 300MHz), 5/8wave (300 to 1100MHz) Gain (relative): 2.15dBi / 3.2dBi Impedance: 50ohms Max Power Rating: 10 watts Length: 7.9" retracted, 31.7" fully extended, 6 sections Weight: 1 oz. Connector: SMA ** Does not work with Baofeng radios ***"

Should I be looking at "newer" antennas that have wider frequency ranges? Do you guys/gals recommend any in particular?

Thank you in advance for your assistance, it is much appreciated by this newbie! :)

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
If you were impressed by the improvement with that antenna, you will be really impressed if you put an antenna outside your home, up as high as you safely can, and connect it back to your radio with some good coaxial cable.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber
No doubt. I have seen the effect of those outdoor antennas before.

But I am renting an apartment. Not a homeowner (yet) so I am limited with what I can do.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Are you on an upper floor? Do you have window(s) facing the direction where most of the signals you want to listen to come from? If so, try a flat blade / leaf type TV antenna. Yes, you read right... a TV antenna. They work quite well at the frequencies you want to listen to with your scanner, offer gain over a telescoping indoor whip, and are directional. The flat panel types can easily be placed in a window, preferably on the highest floor and as high in the window you can get it. You'll need an adapter to go from the the F-male connector to the antenna connector on your scanner. You should turn the antenna so it is vertically oriented (polarized) as the radio signals you are trying to receive.... unlike TV signals... are vertically polarized. Experiment with which orientation works best. This type of TV antenna is available in nearly every home store, Walmart, hardware store, etc. Very inexpensive to try and you may be surprised how well it works.

Last edited:

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber
I am on the first floor. There are windows but the only noticeable difference is if I have them near the window in the back room. But at least with the SRH789 I can actually hear things, hence my inquiry.

@popnokick: I appreciate that insight and I will file it for when I move from here in a few years time and have a house of my own. But at the moment I am looking for functionality and aesthetic factors given my current place of residence is not that big. I don't have room for huge antennas to be everywhere.

I like the SRH789 because it is portable / retractable and it has been working so I was wondering if this particular antenna is a worthwhile buy for the $40.00 Amazon is charging for it or if there might be a newer one with even more frequency range.

I have been trying to figure this out myself but information is not always easy to sift through and I am not the best at Technology.

Cheers

Last edited:

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Aesthetics? Do you realize these flat blade leaf antennas are usually smaller than an 8.5 x 11 inch sheet of paper? And often cost less than $20? Placed behind a window drapery or shade they are practically invisible... much less visible than a long back-of-set whip antenna. They are made for INDOOR use and are very unobtrusive. Here is an example of what I’m writing about -
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Digital-...a-For-HDTV-DTV-HD-VHF-UHF-FM-AM-FTA/816951170

DJ11DLN

A friend of mine is temporarily (he hopes) an apartment dweller in the aftermath of a divorce. Using one of the antennas linked below in a window he gets very good performance on VHF-Hi through 800 MHz. It's hung vertical and attached to the glass with a dab of 3M adhesive putty. He's very happy with it. More importantly his landlord isn't upset with him, the way he was then said friend rigged an RH77ca on a flat bracket outside the window. He's on the first floor.
https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...d=0ahUKEwjbxKD6nMTZAhVIUK0KHaHCAy84FBDzAgiCBg

cmdrwill

Aesthetics? Do you realize these flat blade leaf antennas are usually smaller than an 8.5 x 11 inch sheet of paper? And often cost less than $20? Placed behind a window drapery or shade they are practically invisible... much less visible than a long back-of-set whip antenna. They are made for INDOOR use and are very unobtrusive. Here is an example of what I’m writing about -
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Digital-...a-For-HDTV-DTV-HD-VHF-UHF-FM-AM-FTA/816951170

That should work, just mount it on it's side, vertical as the radio waves are vertically polarized.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber
So I ended up getting two of the Diamond Antenna SRH789. One connects to the HomePatrol2 and so far has been working great.

Unfortunately, the BCD325p2 has a different size antenna port that I was not aware of. Is there an adapter that can be bought so that I can plug in the SRH789 to the BCD325P2?

I attached a couple of images of the port in question.

Thanks much everyone

Attachments

• IMG_20180302_173403.jpg
    IMG_20180302_173403.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_20180302_173442.jpg
    IMG_20180302_173442.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 266

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
That connector on top of the radio is a female BNC connector. The antenna you purchased probably has a male SMA connector.

You will need to get yourself a Male BNC to Female SMA adapter. Used to be you could pick this stuff up at Radio Shack.
You can easily find them online. Don't purchase the cheapest one you find. Get a decent one.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber
There is a place near me that sells scanners and equipment. I am pretty confident they will have the part.

Thank you mmckenna (and everyone else that helped me in this thread).

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The gender of the connector is the opposite of what is needed for a Baofeng radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.