Antenna issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mom25

I'm trying to get better reception on a PRO 106 that is in my house. I'm new to all this so maybe this question has been on here before but... If I put an antenna outside do I have to run a cable from it to the scanner? How? Also I see where many people use coax cables?

Placid1

Yes you need to run a wire (coax) from the antenna to the scanner.
Drill a hole for the wire to go thru or run it thru a existing opening like a vent.

Coax is the term used for the wire/cable designed to carry the radio signals from the antenna to the radio/scanner.

Last edited:

DPD1

It helps to know what frequencies you're trying to get better. That would dictate what antenna and cable would work best.

LtDoc

So why would putting that antenna outside be better than inside? 'Cuz the signal doesn't have to go through as much stuff (walls etc.) to get to the radio. Getting that antenna higher would also make a difference. It would be able to 'see' further, just like you can on top of a hill as opposed to in a valley.
There has to be a connection between that antenna and the radio for that signal to get from one to the other. The idea is to make it easier to get to that radio than going through walls etc, which introduces losses because of the walls etc. Coaxial cable is just one way of doing that. It's the pipe that makes that signal flow to the radio and still have enough signal for the radio to 'hear' it. There are 'better' pipes than others. The idea is to select the 'right' 'pipe' so that things are good, and who'z cost doesn't break the bank. That just depends on how much you want to be able to hear, and how big'a wallet you have. I don't know about you, but my wallet isn't exactly huge, you know?
- 'Doc

jim202

I'm trying to get better reception on a PRO 106 that is in my house. I'm new to all this so maybe this question has been on here before but... If I put an antenna outside do I have to run a cable from it to the scanner? How? Also I see where many people use coax cables?

If you put a lawn sprinkler out on your lawn to water the grass, do you have to run the garden hose to it? A little common sense would go a long way here.

Mom25

Um it's not about common sense..it was a question as to if use coax cable or not & where the cord had to run to. I realize (common sense) that the antenna must be connected to the scanner! Also thanks for the info Doc..and Dave I'm just trying to get better reception for a P25 system in Phx. I've heard that sometimes it's not the antenna but where I'm located & the tower is. I've obviously never done this before and just trying to get the best for the listeners. I could do without the smart remarks. I've moved the scanner around a bit and sometimes the reception is good and sometimes it's not while in the same place. Thank you for the real advice though!

Status
Not open for further replies.