WS1080: Antenna issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwayne0564

has anyone had a antenna issue with their 1080, my mast seems loose, only gets reception, if you put it a little pressure to it, to make the antenna move to the left, anyone dealt with the process with repair with whistler, how is it.?

trp2525

...anyone dealt with the process with repair with whistler, how is it.?

See pages 55-57 of the WS1080 owner's manual for a full detailing of in-warranty and out-of -warranty service. If you are beyond the 1-year Whistler warranty it states the following: "The minimum out of warranty service fee for your Whistler Scanner is $120.00 (U.S.)."

PrivatelyJeff

Has more money than sense
Premium Subscriber
has anyone had a antenna issue with their 1080, my mast seems loose, only gets reception, if you put it a little pressure to it, to make the antenna move to the left, anyone dealt with the process with repair with whistler, how is it.?

Yes, I had that exact problem. What has occurred is that the lock nut that holds the connector in place has come loose, which allowed the the connector to move and break the thin solder joint connecting the antenna connector to the circuit board. The only option is to either send it in for repairs, or take the back off, un-solder a shield, pull it back, tighten the lock nut, solder a tiny piece of wire between the connector and the board, put the shield back in place, solder the ground plate from the antenna back to the shield and put it back together.

Swipesy

A word of caution to those who venture into taking a Whistler radio apart. There is a very delicate set of pins on the main case that fit into a socket on the front cover. While reassembling the unit if you don't line those pins up perfectly you will bend and possibly break them. If you are not good at electronics repair I recommend you not mess with taking these radios apart - VOE speaking here.

trp2525

...I might just send it in for repairs...

If your WS1080 is out-of-warranty you might consider sending it to G & G Communications in New York instead of paying the $120 minimum to Whistler. G & G Communications is highly reputable (I've used them myself) and their charge for repair of a digital scanner is $50 plus parts plus shipping. It doesn't sound like your scanner will be in need of any parts so it should be $50 plus shipping for the repair of your antenna connector.

Here's the link to the G & G Communications repair page: G & G Communications

Status
Not open for further replies.