Antenna Mast Question

Wolfflet

Retired on the farm somewhere in Kentucky
I have a Comet GP-9M and after much discussion with DH (dear husband), I have a questions. We are not diy people and have been looking at telescoping flagpoles as a means to accomplish two goals (flag and antenna), but this seems to be falling apart on the antenna end.

I would much rather have something telescoping so I can crank it down during bad storms, but buying a 20-25' heavy duty pole and putting the antenna on it seems the way to go. I think the Comet can take it and will be fine. We may just need some guy lines and a little cement.

Any/all info, opinion and advice is welcome here.

(we're looking to underground the coax and I have some info on that, but again, any/all info is welcome)

Thank you!

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I have a Comet GP-9M and after much discussion with DH (dear husband), I have a questions. We are not diy people and have been looking at telescoping flagpoles as a means to accomplish two goals (flag and antenna), but this seems to be falling apart on the antenna end.

I would much rather have something telescoping so I can crank it down during bad storms, but buying a 20-25' heavy duty pole and putting the antenna on it seems the way to go. I think the Comet can take it and will be fine. We may just need some guy lines and a little cement.

Any/all info, opinion and advice is welcome here.

Companies like Rohn make crank up towers/masts that would do what you want. Not cheap, but will do the job. Kind of an expensive option for a single antenna. The cost of the crank up mast is expensive and the necessary foundation to support it gets to be a lot of money.

Telescopic masts are available, but will require guying. ROHN Products, LLC - Telescoping Masts
or https://www.amazon.com/33-Telescopi...8&psc=1&mcid=9ff5b52fcf613a1ca31d9b5df87ee233

"fold over" towers are a thing, but again, expensive: ROHN Products, LLC - Fold-Over Towers

Some just use a 20' long piece of fence top rail or other heavy gauge steel pipe. Ground anchor and guying would be necessary unless you can brace it against your home.

Just pay attention to mounting anything in the ground. Water will rust out masts from the inside if not allowed to fully drain. Not just rain you are concerned about, moisture in the air will condense inside and cause issues.

(we're looking to underground the coax and I have some info on that, but again, any/all info is welcome)

Thank you!

If you are burying coax, make sure you use coaxial cable that is "direct bury" rated, and make sure it is inside conduit.

Don't forget grounding and lightning protection to meet National Electric Code. Last time I was in Kentucky, I was quite impressed by the lightning storms.

MUTNAV

Premium Subscriber
I understand the not wanting to go the DIY route....

Is there anyone in the area that would be willing to make something like this.

Doesn't have to be a pro, just someone that likes doing things like that.
(In the past there were people that you could pay to assemble kit radios for you because they enjoyed it, you just pay for the materials + a certain amount for their time).

For some reason I keep on thinking volunteer fire department (it's just popping into my head even though it is completely unjustified),

unless you drive past one and see a flagpole set up that looks like this (but painted white).

I don't know if this is helpful or not.

Thanks
Joel

MUTNAV

Premium Subscriber
Or could something like this be made to work. With just a pipe rather than a vertical antenna?

Thanks
Joel

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
Read this: