Antenna Mast

Status
Not open for further replies.

waingro223

Hi i just purchased a antenna for my mast it weighs 2.5 lbs. I purchases a 5 foot tripod and another 10ft top rail pipe. My current setup is 8 feet in the air and is connected to the stink pipe. How high do you think i could setup the tripod WITHOUT having to use guide wires. I have one 10 foot pole of top rail pipe weighs around 6lbs, the antenna 2.5 and not sure what the tripod weighs yet. You think i could get away with 18-22 ft without wires or would that be stupid. I want some good safe ideas.

I have 18 feet or so pipe to work with.
100 feet rg6
5 foot tripod
2.5 lb antenna

davedaver1

Premium Subscriber
First, be careful about weight and load on your "stink pipe". If it's plastic, lots of bad things can happen.

As for the tripod - it depends on how wide the base is and how well you can weight it down. 20 feet seems like a lot for an un-guyed pole with an antenna at the top. You didn't say what kind of antenna you want to use, but the fancier it is, the more wind loading it has - and wind is your enemy here. It's hard to say without seeing the tripod and knowing how you are going to anchor it etc. If it were me and I wanted to go 20 ft without guy wires, I would not only use weight at the base, but I would see about making a wider base for the tripod using more poles laying flat, or even some long 2x4 lumber.

Using guy wires would allow you to easily use that height (you still need to weight the tripod). If you don't want to use wire, you could use antenna rope - it's a black UV-stabilized cord that is surprisingly strong for its small size.

Good luck!

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Weight a tripod? They come with holes in the feet, sealing pads and lag bolts to fasten them down. There are a few common sense tricks to bolting them down properly but it may be a bit early to get into that discussion.

Steel antenna mast is actually lighter and stronger than top rail pipe being made specifically for the purpose. It comes in 5' and 10' sections that simply slide together making installation easy. I wouldn't go higher than 15' and feel much more comfortable with 10 un-guyed although I was in the crazy crew that put up 50' with rings and guys on a roof mounted tripod. It got the acid test seconds after we scrambled down and ran for shelter in the house, we get wind storms here at the shore that can sand blast your skin off. It held a monster TV antenna and rotor for many years but just because WE are crazy and happened to get lucky doesn't say you should play Myth Busters with us. (;->)

Nightshade

Hi i just purchased a antenna for my mast it weighs 2.5 lbs. I purchases a 5 foot tripod and another 10ft top rail pipe. My current setup is 8 feet in the air and is connected to the stink pipe. How high do you think i could setup the tripod WITHOUT having to use guide wires. I have one 10 foot pole of top rail pipe weighs around 6lbs, the antenna 2.5 and not sure what the tripod weighs yet. You think i could get away with 18-22 ft without wires or would that be stupid. I want some good safe ideas.

I have 18 feet or so pipe to work with.
100 feet rg6
5 foot tripod
2.5 lb antenna

It is my experience that 10' is the max for un-guyed antenna mast. 10' or less and your good if base is secure.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
Put up lots of tripods. Gut feeling is same as above, not more than 10' of mast. Pay attention to the mounting feet, just screwing into roofing material or plywood may not be enough. If you can lag into the rafters and/or some cripples you'll sleep better. Seal feet with Blackjack.

Antenna weight is not a factor, it's the wind load. How big of antenna are you going put on this thing? At 2.5 lbs it's probably a dinky one and you're safe. Would think twice about a 21' station master though.

Putting anything but the smallest antenna only (VHF quarter wave ground plane and smaller) on a vent pipe is a bad idea. The wind vibration will wreck the seal over time (be it plastic or cast) and your plumb wall will show an ever growing stain as the rain leaks down.

Status
Not open for further replies.