• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Antenna max watt vs. linear max watt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

doctorbubba010

Learner
Can you exceed manufacturers wattage cap on an antenna? I have a Larsen 27 and it’s rated for up to 200 watts. What would the damage be to push a Texas Star 350? So over the limit? RG58 cable President Lincoln 2+

jassing

Premium Subscriber
if your antenna is rated to 250, don't push more than 250 to it. Ideally, something less. Amps were marketed by "maximum output possible" - but rarely does a 100 amp actually transmit at 100 amps, especially if you wanted to keep your radio & amp around a while.

That said, pushing too many amps to the antenna risks damage to the radio & amp, fire, melting coax & antenna parts etc. Not to mention the possibility of causing a lot of interference. Don't do it.

Reduce your radio's output to a couple of watts and you'll probably put out about 150 or so. save your equipment.

russbrill

Can you exceed manufacturers wattage cap on an antenna? I have a Larsen 27 and it’s rated for up to 200 watts. What would the damage be to push a Texas Star 350? So over the limit? RG58 cable President Lincoln 2+

Your setup will burn up the Larsen, you should be using something like the Wilson 1000...

jassing

Premium Subscriber
I should have included: Get a quality (best you can afford) watt meter. Test your transmit (while talking) to see how many watts you are actually putting out. And measure your SWR with a quality (best you can afford) SWR meter. You didn't tell us what your SWR is.

As @russbrill said, you will burn up (not only) your antenna, but you're amp,radio, and possibly the coax itself. (FWIW: on any rig I've ever used an amp with, I've had the output power reduced, specifically so I don't burn up the amp. Sure I don't get the max output of the amp, but the amp & radio last for years.)

If the antenna can't handle the power If it fries, it starts sending all the power back to the amp & radio (This is why, when running an amp, you want the lowest possible SWR, so the reflected power doesn't burn up everything.)

The Wilson 1000 is a good antenna, especially if you require mag mount. Another note is that if you are running a mag mount + amp; your paint may burn/discolor; if the pain bubbles, it may reduce your bond to the car, increasing your SWR, sending more power back to the amp/radio...

doctorbubba010

Learner
I should have included: Get a quality (best you can afford) watt meter. Test your transmit (while talking) to see how many watts you are actually putting out. And measure your SWR with a quality (best you can afford) SWR meter. You didn't tell us what your SWR is.

As @russbrill said, you will burn up (not only) your antenna, but you're amp,radio, and possibly the coax itself. (FWIW: on any rig I've ever used an amp with, I've had the output power reduced, specifically so I don't burn up the amp. Sure I don't get the max output of the amp, but the amp & radio last for years.)

If the antenna can't handle the power If it fries, it starts sending all the power back to the amp & radio (This is why, when running an amp, you want the lowest possible SWR, so the reflected power doesn't burn up everything.)

The Wilson 1000 is a good antenna, especially if you require mag mount. Another note is that if you are running a mag mount + amp; your paint may burn/discolor; if the pain bubbles, it may reduce your bond to the car, increasing your SWR, sending more power back to the amp/radio...

How do you know if it’s “burnt up” does it happen instantly or over time? I’m through roof with a 3/4 NMO mount.
I should be 1 to 1.5 SWR prior to the AMP install i can’t get a good read with it on. But I will look into getting a better SWR meter.

This is the whip I’m running now. https://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/laird-technologies-cb27-5584

I am actively looking to replace with a higher wattage rated antenna.

prcguy

I had an HF antenna for hamster use, a Tarheel 75A rated for 250 watts. I got a 500 watt amplifier and thought the antenna might be ok since I was only going to use SSB which is not 100% duty cycle. I ended up burning a little of the coil form insulator and discoloring the loading coil wire. It didn't destroy the antenna but it left it with a few battle scars.

If you feed a Larsen antenna with 175% of its rated power what do you think is going to happen?

doctorbubba010

Learner
Roger, it was temporary, I know it’s wrong. But you only Live once, and it’s good to ask questions and learn.

DaveJacobsen

How do you know if it’s “burnt up” does it happen instantly or over time?

It can happen in an instant or slowly. Mostly instantly, in my experience.

Best case, they stop working, worse case something shorts and starts a fire. I had a fairly big tube amp blow up (antenna blew over in a storm & I didn't know). It sent a toxic cloud of whatever chemicals were in some huge capacitors and the circuit board burned traces and tubes exploded.

I think "usual" is to fry the finals, which is repairable. Depends on the power...

Amplifiers draw a lot of power, that power can do a fair bit of damage.

Amps, can, over time die a slow death if you drive them close to max input rating, even if everything else is ok.. I usually drive at around 50% and my amps last a long time...

FiveFilter

The way I do it is to turn down the radio's power into the amp: eg, 1W incoming to amp = 50W outgoing from amp; 2W=70W...etc.

K6EEN

Status
Not open for further replies.