• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Antenna mount for apartment

Status
Not open for further replies.

timkilbride

Database Admin
I tried making a mount, that would mount my A/C. It ended up being too heavy and I couldn't install it without falling out the window. I had the PVC pipe(1/2") going out at a 45 degree angle, then had it go straight up to clear the roof/gutar. I fastened a pizza pan to the top and threw my mag mount on that. It was odd shaped and just to much weight to handle with one hand to install. I put a bigger sized PVC pipe(3/4") on the A/C unit thinking I would just slid a smaller sized PVC pipe into, making the install easier. Look at the photos and offer something else I might be able to try??? For now, I got my antenna mounted upside down on the bottom on the A/C unit. It doesn't work real well. I monitor VHF-HI, UHF, and 800. Thanks for any suggestions!!!

Tim K.

Attachments

• DSC04127 (Large).jpg
    DSC04127 (Large).jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 2,651
  • DSC04128 (Large).jpg
    DSC04128 (Large).jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 815
  • DSC04130 (Large).jpg
    DSC04130 (Large).jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 1,045

fineshot1

Nice try but all is not lost. You might look into the "Ventenna". Its designed to slip over those vent pipes on most roofs. Not sure if the dimensions of a pipe it requires matches the pvc you are using but it might be worth investigating. You might be able to do something similar with it without the pizza pan.

BigWingBoy

Premium Subscriber
Hi Tim,

Excellent work! You're on the right track. We're presuming you don't have any antenna covenants...yes?

I don't think you need to straighten the antenna out...how about getting a whip attached to the end of the removable post? So it's sticking out there at 45 degrees. It'll still work. Unless you need line of sight to a transmitter. Attach a flag or banner to it and no one will be the wiser. Please let us know what you finally decide on.

73 and Good Hunting!

Gene N1EH
'The BigWingBoy'
Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA

Last edited:

timkilbride

Database Admin
Here is what I came up with. I left it slanted on purpose so the rain/snow/ice, ect will roll off and not pile up on the pizza pan. I think I am going to get "Y" and come off with two pipes going out to better support the pizza pan.

Attachments

• DSC04156 (Large).jpg
    DSC04156 (Large).jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 2,500

timkilbride

Database Admin
I told me girlfriend I was making a "thing" to talk to aliens with. I heard her on the phone talking to her mom about a 1/2 hour later saying I was making a "thing" to talk to aliens with.

Seems to be working well. Hearing TRS systems 20 miles away and VHF-HI repeaters 40 miles away.

timkilbride

Database Admin
In the photo it is a VHF 1/4. Since the photo, I have replaced it with a Larsen 150/450/800 tri-band antenna. It picks up the 800 mhz TRS systems better.

Status
Not open for further replies.