• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Antenna mount

Status
Not open for further replies.

abbysdad2006

Good afternoon all. I'm looking for a place to acquire a right side fender mount bracket for my 2011 Tahoe. I can only find left side. Does anyone know what is so special about the right side fender area?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Yes, kinda like that guy, but for a 2011. Sorry, I'm not sure what kind of mount is needed for a CB antenna.

Well, you would need to figure out which antenna you want to mount. The mounting base/mounting hole sizes can be different.

If you have not chosen an antenna yet, you should consider a few things….
Mounting an antenna off to the side of the vehicle, especially off to one edge, results in a lopsided ground plane under the antenna. While there are No Ground Plane antennas, the presence of the hood/body under the antenna will still impact the radiation pattern of the antenna. That can result in the antenna being directional, and giving you more coverage in one direction over others. May not be an ideal installation...

Ideally you do want the antenna mounted in the center of the vehicle to make the best use of what ground plane you have.

I did a lot of installs on those era Tahoes, and I can say that doing a permanent mount dead center of the vehicle roof is easy and works really well, especially on CB frequencies. Putting an NMO mount right in the center of the roof and installing something like a Larsen NMO-27 would give you the best performance.

If fender bracket is your only option, then you can still use the Larsen NMO-27, with one of these mounts:
Or a more generic mount:

After using the Larsen NMO-27 for 30 or so years, I can strongly recommend it. It's a professional grade antenna and will easily outlast your vehicle. I've got the same one I've had since about 1990, and it's been a lot of miles off road, tree branch strikes, parking garages, etc. It'll cost a bit more than the hobby/consumer grade antennas, but it will pay for itself in the long run.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Ok, cool I'll look into those. Looks like they just screw into the side of the fender.

Correct. They'll work on either side and at any point along the fender. It uses stainless steel sheet metal screws, usually included. And you can get them in shiny stainless steel or black powder coated stainless steel depending on your preference.

abbysdad2006

Correct. They'll work on either side and at any point along the fender. It uses stainless steel sheet metal screws, usually included. And you can get them in shiny stainless steel or black powder coated stainless steel depending on your preference.

Perfect, thank you

slowmover

Fender Mount means:

you can talk directly across the highway to the opposing Interstate lanes

not more.

mrweather

It's not so much if there's enough groundplane but where it's located under the antenna.

Status
Not open for further replies.