• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Antenna Mounts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScanHandler

What do you guys use on modern cars these days?... The last car I mounted an antenna on was an 80's boat where there were 100's of places to mount.. Now I have a 2001 Hyundia Elantra.

wyomingmedic

Usually we use something called NMO mounts. Stands for "New Motorola", even though it is many decades old.

It requires a 3/.4 inch hole, but if the mount is installed correctly, it is waterproof even with the antenna removed. Very strong and it does not require the removal of the headliner for installing.

Hope this helps,

WM

freqs

I have allways had good luck with a mag mount Like a Wilson 1000 or 5000 a k40 I just like how easy it is to take off and put back on .I have never had a issue with TX or RX I know I am gonna catch hell for it but hey I never liked them tall antenna's just my 2 cents

reedeb

does not require the removal of the headliner for installing

WM

I don't know how you do it but ALL the NMOs I've ever seen cut and mounted required the headliner removed [and I've seen quite a few].

Yes NMO is good and if done right will be water tight But for CB It's either a ball mount with a 102' steel whip or mag mount Wilson or K40

jackj

NMOs all mount from the outside. The problem is running the coax, if you can get a snake up to the antenna mounting hole then you're good. Otherwise you will have to drop the headliner down to run the coax.

wyomingmedic

I have done several thousand NMOs. 4 alone on my truck.

Usually, you just have to access (or see) the underside of the metal. just uno the trim and shine a flashlight under the headliner. You can also just pop out the dome light and go right underneath it.

Once the hole is drilled, just snake the coax through the hole with a fish wire or bent antenna whip. once it is beyond the headliner, run it under the trim and button the celing back up.

Fords and Chevys are the easiest. Nissan isn't bad. Same for Dodge. I can have an NMO mount placed and installed from start to finish in under 15 minutes on those vehicles. Audi (or any of the higher end cars) are total murder to install. Those can require the headliner removal and take hours.

But 99% never require the headliner removal.

WM

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
"I have yet to find a car that cannot accommodate a rear fender mounted ball and whip."

I see you've never seen a Corvette up close and personal or anything else with a fiberglass body.

Status
Not open for further replies.