Antenna Mysteries....?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewbieScoobie

Hello!

I have recently begun to experiment with grabbing images from NOAA satellites after reading about it on these forums. I am using a BCT15 connected to the car antenna on my ford ranger with a BNC-MOTO adapter. I noticed today that if I grab the antenna in the middle of the shaft, the reception, and therefore the images, improves significantly.

Can anyone tell me why this is? Also, how can I simulate the old hand grab without standing there with my fist around the antenna for 10 minutes?

I am just starting out with this stuff so I apologize if these topics have been covered or are just plain dumb.

Attached you will find a clip from my img today. Down in the Mexico region was before I grabbed the Antenna. Up in California is with my hand around the antenna.

Thanks again!

Attachments

• BeforeandAfterGrab.JPG
    BeforeandAfterGrab.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 610

KJ4FWA

to post a reason of why your radio works better when you grab the antenna, Is my theory on it

Since the human body is made of water/salt We make a pretty good antenna, Frequencies do better in water (if I'm wrong please correct me :) ) as far as travel is concerned... Least thats what I think

zz0468

QRT
Banned
I would expect that either your antenna is faulty enough that your body actually works better, or it's aimed incorrectly and the non directional characteristics of your body pick up signals from directions your antenna doesn't.

Bottom line is, if you're a better antenna than the antenna is, there's something wrong somewhere.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
The same thing works for me with radios, either its holding my Sirius SL100 in its dock to improve reception to my FM radio or holding the antenna of a scanner, a body works well. I just have to figure out how to market ourselves for this purpose lol

Status
Not open for further replies.