Antenna on the Fritz ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

_DeS_

Hey Guys,
I was wondering what would be a good way to tell if my antenna is shot ? Reason I ask is , I just bought a RS Pro-97 and when trying to listen to weather its near impossible, would this indicate a problem with the antenna ? Also I was wondering if I was to get a new antenna, what kind would I need for my mentioned model, I know there is an 800mhz one but from what I read, that would some what limit anything outside of that range ? or maybe I'm wrong but in my area not much goes on in that range, So I'd like to avoid it...

Hopefully someone will have some suggestions. Thanks Kindly...

jeffrey420

If the cable is old it might be a problem. There could be a short.

Use a ohm meter, and check for continuity. If not it is probably okay.

As far as new antenna, I have been using the RS cell look alike through glass antenna. It does fairly well, and it is nice not drilling any hole or having a cable crimping the weather stipping.

I found one at a closing store for $14, so it was a no brainer for me.

_DeS_

jeffrey420 said:
If the cable is old it might be a problem. There could be a short.

Use a ohm meter, and check for continuity. If not it is probably okay.

As far as new antenna, I have been using the RS cell look alike through glass antenna. It does fairly well, and it is nice not drilling any hole or having a cable crimping the weather stipping.

I found one at a closing store for $14, so it was a no brainer for me.

Great I'll give it a shot....So I'm Looking For Continuity in general, or a specific number for a reading..

Thanks.

_DeS_

mass-man said:
Hmmm...if I read correctly, you are not interested in 800 mhz signals. Then go buy the basic scanner antenna from UNIVERSAL and it should cover everything else...

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/scanants/1190.html

As far as continuity, no numeric reading. Just to see if there is a short in the coax or what...you either have continuity or you don't.

Just to clarify, I'm intrested in 800mhz but theres not much traffic in my area on it...So I would still like to hear that range. Is there antenna that would suit my that need ? Preferably a Portable not a car mount...

Thanks

Last edited:

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
WELL...the Austin antennas are very good. The ones you linked to are rubber duckie antennas and good for the top of the radio when out and about. The one I linked to from UNIVERSAL is a very good mobile antenna...there is very little chance that an antenna mounted on the radio is goiing to work very well. Something mounted on the outside of the vehicle is MUCH better. From what i have read the antenna from UNIVERSAL is a good choice for all bands...I ordered one today to give it a try.

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
I should make myself a bit clearer...an antenna mounted on the radio while in a vehicle is not a good idea...too much metal. Something mounted outside is the best answer.

_DeS_

mass-man said:
WELL...the Austin antennas are very good. The ones you linked to are rubber duckie antennas and good for the top of the radio when out and about. The one I linked to from UNIVERSAL is a very good mobile antenna...there is very little chance that an antenna mounted on the radio is goiing to work very well. Something mounted on the outside of the vehicle is MUCH better. From what i have read the antenna from UNIVERSAL is a good choice for all bands...I ordered one today to give it a try.

Great thanks...I was looking for something more so to mount on the scanner a "Duckie" if you will lol...as I dont spen much time scanning in my car...

Thank you or your replies...

Status
Not open for further replies.