Antenna Performance SRH77CA and a Austin Condor

Status
Not open for further replies.

res1oz9a

Feed Provider
Hi All, I work next to Midcom Service place where they repair radios for police, fire, etc etc.... I asked him if he could test a couple antennas I purchased because the austin did not seem to be any better then without a antenna .. The diamond seems to work good but not at the 800mhz band (the lil radio shack 800mhz antenna works excellent though)

Diamond SRH77CA and Austin Condor results from his test

lets see if I posted the attachement right lol

I was kind of suprised how bad the Austin Condor did

Attachments

• Antenna-VSWR-2.jpg
    Antenna-VSWR-2.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 1,784
Last edited:

subclavius

I tried the Austin Condor and I wasn't very happy with it. Reception didn't seem to improve much over the stock antenna, it's very heavy for an antenna and because my scanner is on a swivel clip the weight always flips my scanner sideways, and the BNC connector is partly covered with the rubber duck coating, presumably to protect it, but it makes it a pain to take off. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Gooser

Thanks for the report!
Glad to see I made the right decision. Been very happy with the 77 since I got it after reading about it here.

What would be really cool (hint) is to see the 800MHz numbers between the Condor and the RS800.

Ghost4658

The RS800 is going to be hard to beat!
I have 2 of them they are good on 155Mhz & 800Mhz.
I have a RH77CA it's good if you scan 450Mhz but thats all its good for.

Chinto

I have been using the Austin Condor, The rs800,and the SRH77CA. I ran a test yesterday and today with the Condor vs. the SRH77CA. The scanner was located in the same place for both tests and I am picking up more traffic with the Condor than I did with the SRH77A. Tomorrow I will put the RS800 on and see what happens.

mjthomas59

I personally own all 3 and can't remember the las time i actually used the Austin Condor. I'm not going to say anything bad about it, other than it is by no means "the best". The Diamond 77ca and the RS800 are the only 2 antennas you need to monitor public safety and ham bands.

I monitor as low as 42mhz with the Diamond and up to 8xx mhz with the RS800 and most everything in between. I'm yet to find a duo better than these two for multi-band receive.

I'm surprised the condor tested so poorly, considering that the Austin Spectra is one of the better mobile antennas out there for the size/multi-band receive capability, you'd think the company would provide only high-end products.... i guess not?

Status
Not open for further replies.