Antenna Performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

pacers111

Premium Subscriber
How far (distance) have you guys been able to pick up with your antennas,and which antenna do you have??

LarrySC

Each scanner/antenna/coax/connectors installation is a test. No one knows until the project is completed how far you can receive. One fellow ask me haw far my antenna could get out.? It dont work that way. The incomming signal has to touch your antenna before you can hear it. Conditions change daily. On some days I can hear a low band fire dispatch 70 miles away. Some days I cant. Antenna must be cut for VHF/UHF/800 in order to have good signals. Some antennas, like discones, are not cut for any particular freq.

pacers111

Premium Subscriber
Sorry guys I am very new to this and wish to get an antenna for my scanner, and also to hopefully get a uniden 996T soon, I live in Mansfield, Ohio and was hopeing to pick up transmissions from delaware county/city which is roughly 45-50 miles from mansfield and also mansfields public safety channels which i know it will pick up. Just wondering if this would be possible?

Last edited:

trainman111

Premium Subscriber
Well, depending on the terrain around you all depends on what you hear. In Virginia its flat and full of trees and I have no problem hearing comms. VHF 40-50 mi. away. Seeing that Ohio is realtively flat, you shouldnt have a problem. Check out the antennas wiki. There are a lot of great antennas and plans. (It helped me alot)

Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.