antenna position

Status
Not open for further replies.

thom

Premium Subscriber
Can I mount an all band scanner antenna a few feet above a deep fringe tv antenna without the 2 antennas having an adverse effect on each other?

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi Thom and all,

In a word, no. The scanner antenna will have no effect on the TV antenna (unless it picks up spurious radiation and the picture jumps as the receiver scans) but the TV antenna acting like a ground plane will cause pattern distortion noticible on the scanner antenna above it. By pattern distortion I mean it will depart from omnidirectional (circular) coverage and exhibit slightly better reception in some directions and slightly degraded in others depending on the resulting pattern and the degree of distortion.

OK, there's your answer but the key word is "slightly" so don't worry about it, I just get technical sometimes. Hey, I'm a HAM so forgive me! (;->)

thom

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the info. Both antennas will be above a rotor, so if the scanner antenna exhibits directional qualities because of its position above the tv antenna, I suppose I could just turn it for better reception.

Status
Not open for further replies.