Antenna Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metro174

Premium Subscriber
I thought about posting this in the antenna forum but my question is concerned with local things. I'm toying with the idea of connecting an antenna to my 2096. I'm debating whether to climb up on my roof or just put the thing in my attic and I'd like some opinions.

I have no trouble receiving any of the local trunking systems, Baltimore City, Baltimore County, Harford and Anne Arundel but I do want to pick up Howard County (primarily) and some other conventional stuff south of Baltimore. Right now I can't from my house. At times I can pick up the US Park Police and WMATA Police. MSP is so so and PG County is hit and miss. I'm in Norteastern Baltimore County.

Years ago when I lived in Highlandtown I had a rooftop antenna and most of the time the thing was just signal overload. It did help majorly with somethings I had trouble receiving like MSP but the majority of the time it was more trouble than it was worth.

Essentially, is the roof going to give me way more than I want or will the attic suffice? Will the attic alone be too much? Will the attic make me want the roof?

Last edited:

Dewey

I agree with Hoser since the Pro-2096 can be prone to intermod. With that said, outside is better than inside (to include the attic), and higher is better. Problem is if you overlaod the 2006, it will go the opposite way and give you less. So as Hoser said, give the attic a try... don't cost nothin', and you can always still go outside later if you want.

Dewey

Creater

Depending on how far your up in Northern Baltimore County there shouldn't be much to give you troubles but those trees with leaves...

troymail

Silent Key
Yeah - give it a try.... interested in hearing your results.

Not to deter you in any way but I put an antenna in my attic some time ago trying to get better reception of the Baltimore City, Upper Shore system and Harford and Carroll Counties on my 296 and 396 (before I got my PSR500). After the effort, I was (EDIT->) NOT getting any better reception than with my rubber duck antenna on the top of the radio itself (it was truly a let down). I really don't want to put an antenna on my roof....

BTW - I'm a couple of miles directly south of BWI Airport - and yes, I was having problems with the reception of Baltimore City (I assume there's alot of "noise" in my location).

However, since I now have a PSR500, I get Baltimore City pretty much crystal clear (except lately - I hear they are making adjustments for rebanding - but I can still listen most times without any problems). I would (EDIT ->) NOT even consider any significant effort for an outside antenna for my PSR500 knowing what happens when I get near a cell tower....

As you can see - every situation is unique. Location, radio, antenna, systems of interest, etc. ... so give it a try!

re: the EDITs: Man! - I need a new keyboard or something (or I need some sleep!)

Last edited:

Metro174

Premium Subscriber
I've never had much problem with any of the really local stuff like Baltimore City and County. Then again I am about 3/4 a mile from the city limits. Stuff further out is so so. Harford is usually not a problem, AA can be hit and miss and a lot of conventional stuff from PG comes in pretty good. My biggest miss is Howard County. I can get a randon transmission once in a blue moon.

I think I'm gonna go with putting it up in the attic and use it when I want the stuff further out. Thanks for the oppinions.

doctordave

Metro174,

If you decide to go with a yagi for pulling in Howard 800, here's a cheap option. I bought a few from these folks - have one attic mounted...and have been impressed with the performance. This model seems to work as well as a $120 Comtelco version that I also own. Obviously, using the proper low-loss coax (such as LMR-400) will be key.
http://cgi.ebay.com/301111-Wilson-C...VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247

I'm sure that you can find comparably priced options with other vendors. Good luck with the project.

Status
Not open for further replies.