Antenna question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ANZTV

I'm setting up a nice radio in my van and was wondering if anybody could give me advice on where I should put my antenna. I figured in the center. What do u think?
The radio is a Yeasu FT8900R quad band.

Thanks
Pat.

ANZTV

Yes I believe that's the one I ordered along with the radio. The salesman recommended that one. I'm going to install in in the center of my van. It's going to look funny with 2 antennas on the top. I also ride with an 11 meter (CB radio) in my van. It kinda helps me out in the morning trying to get into the job.

Thanks
Pat.

KevinGC

I believe the CR-8900 is designed to be mounted on the side of a trunk deck, and performs better there. Check on Eham, and other sites about this. People report much better SWR and propagation when mounted there. I have the Yaesu 8900 along with the CR-8900 antenna myself. One day just for the fun of it, a buddy and I experimented with different placements, and found this to be true.

kc2rgw

Premium Subscriber
borrow an analyzer and ask a friend to help.

Follow the tuning instructions in order, it's important.

Once you get it dialed in, it works well.

Normally I'd say center of roof too, but that is a fairly stiff antenna and reasonably tall so the top center of a van roof might be asking for some trouble if you hit branches with it.

APTN

Normally I'd say center of roof too, but that is a fairly stiff antenna and reasonably tall so the top center of a van roof might be asking for some trouble if you hit branches with it.

I concur with the above. I have hit trees with antennas, fortunately they did not break.

ANZTV

borrow an analyzer and ask a friend to help.

Follow the tuning instructions in order, it's important.

Once you get it dialed in, it works well.

Funny I have 2 antennas on the roof both are 5 feet high. I'm always smashing something. I'll be driving down the street and all you hear is BOOONG.... and same for me, the antenna did not break. I'm in a van so you know that antenna is high. Its funny when I have to go to the bank and drive up to the window. Funny.

Yeah I have a few buddies looking at the radio. I'm sure they will be able to figure out something. But Thanks for your help and to everyone who responded.

Pat
KC2VXL
73's

kc2rgw

Premium Subscriber
Ahh if you're used to it, then go for a through-hole roof mount ;-). Some people freak out about antennas hitting things.

I've got a 102" whip on my Jeep for HF and a 60" dual-band so it's daily life for me too.

N1BHH

I don't get why people are so scared of their antenna hitting branches and other stuff. The antenna springs back okay, it's made to be used on any vehicle. What is the big hangup anyway? Put it on the roof and don't worry. And you'll have a much better signal than most people, being that your in a van. I don't see where there is going to be any better signal distribution from anywhere but the roof.

Last edited:

kc2rgw

Premium Subscriber
I don't get why people are so scared of their antenna hitting branches and other stuff. The antenna springs back okay, it's made to be used on any vehicle. What is the big hangup anyway? Put it on the roof and don't worry. And you'll have a much better signal than most people, being that your in a van. I don't see where there is going to be any better signal distribution from anywhere but the roof.

If an antenna is rigid enough, it will rip an NMO right out of the sheet metal if you hit a branch directly enough ;-). The quad-band antennas for the 7900 have a heavy shaft on them compared to your avg 1/4w whip.

ANZTV

Ahh if you're used to it, then go for a through-hole roof mount ;-). Some people freak out about antennas hitting things.

I've got a 102" whip on my Jeep for HF and a 60" dual-band so it's daily life for me too.

Yeah a daily part for me also. I don't know, sometimes I laugh when I hit something. All the trees in my neighborhood are real low also. My whips are both 5 feet but on a van it's pretty high and there both drilled into the van. My van looks like a bug with all the antennas. My wife freaks out when she drives with me. Its great when we have to go to the bank under the canopy or the best is the Modells in Woodbridge with the 8' bar going across. Funny.

Pat
KC2VXL

ANZTV

Yeah N1BHH it's already up there drilled in and everything. I don't care what I hit. It's ok. So my van looks like a bug but I get good reception.

Pat.
KC2VXL

Status
Not open for further replies.