Antenna Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbas

I don't know a lot about antennas so I have a question. I have an old Maxrad antenna I think was used on the UHF band it's number that I can still read is MUF or could be R 450. It has a spring on the bottom aprox. 3.25" long then the first part is 9.5" long then A plastic insulator (I think that is what it's called) then a top section that is 15.5" long. It is an NMO mount with a magnet base. My question is I would like to use it for my scanner if possible but unsure if I can. I need it to be tuned for 866.000 (until rebanding) but would also like to have VHF (150.000-155.000 range). Would I be able to at least get it tuned for 800 or is that not possible? Just wondering if I have any options with this antenna??

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Without seeing a picture, it's hard to judge here, but I'm willing to bet the 'plastic insulator' is really a loading coil. While it might be possible to retune it I suspect the trouble is more than it's worth since you would have to redo and reseal the coil.

If those 3 bands are the ones you are interested in, Larsen sells one that should be right up your alley. It's quite inexpensive and works well for most folks

73 Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.