• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Antenna question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ETO

Dear God's!

Could anyone tell me the advantage and disadvantage of the stubby antenna for VHF radios?! Especially for IC-F60?! I am using 8 pre-programmed channels from 462 to 467 Mhz and different antennas (IC-F50, IC-F60 (FM Approved version) | Products | Icom Inc) FA-S56U (450-520MHz) FA-S27U (400-470MHz) and FA-S57US (450-490MHz) Which would be the best antenna for using the radios on a steel vessel?! The short stubby or the long one?! I got a few places on board where is poor reception... Is the output power responsible for weak reception or the antenna type and size?! It is pretty much on every frequency, should I try different frequency than above mentioned?!

Thank You for your answer in advance!
I tried to find some documentation on the web regarding this model and the antennas but no luck!
Best Regards
Tom

W2NJS

Stubby HT antennas on UHF are for convenience, primarily so that the longer, six-inch, antenna does not stick the user in the side when the radio is on his belt. The longer antenna on UHF is about a full quarter wave and will definitely perform better than the short antenna, how much better being impossible to predict due to changing surroundings, distance, etc. Antenna performance theory, while definable, usually bears little relation to actual antenna results in the field.

jeatock

Premium Subscriber
Radio is one-third science, one-third black art, and one-third luck. I believe in Murphy's Law.

I'm not a big fan of stubby antennas in mission critical applications involving any distance or obsticals. Be prepared have issues out in the world and plan accordingly. Stubbies are OK close range with good to excellent infrastructure, but testing is important. Being a stiff 3" vs. a flexible 6" for the standard UHF quarter-wave, there's not a tremendous advantage in wearability.

Look at it as if you had one ear plugged. Hearing is possible but more difficult, and all the planets have to be in alignment.

Expect a 25~50% reduction in reception, and a 40~50% loss of effective radiated power. Any better is just luck. This applies to any radio or antenna manufacturer.

ETO

Fisrt of all thanks for the posts! As W2NJS mentioned for the certain group of the users on board it is more important the convenience, for me more important the signal strength and quality. The distance is not big, 70m max. but there is 5 level of deck which is steel and aluminium. Some places are like "Faraday cage" very poor signal get in and out. In these places doesn't matter if I use stubby or long antenna... reception is the same...
I dont know which brand or type of radio will do better job for the request... water resistance, small size (for comfort) and 10-12 hours of operation...

Jetock:
I like this: "Radio is one-third science, one-third black art, and one-third luck."
and I know in fact that "Murphy's Law" exist

Status
Not open for further replies.