• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Antenna Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renegade16

Premium Subscriber
Hey guys,

I have purchased a nice Cobra CB radio and mounted it in my 2006 Jeep Liberty. However, I am trying to find an antenna that will work nicely and fit nicely with my car. I was hoping for maybe a shorter NMO mount antenna, but is that possible with a CB or does the antenna have to be long? If it does have to be long, I am needing somewhere to mount it. I like the idea of the spare tire mount but Im not sure if anyone makes one for the Jeep Liberty. Any help is appreciated..

thanks,
Renegade

JayMojave

Hello R16: Yes there are shorter CB (10 and 11 meters band) Antennas that use a NMO base, I have used them with good results.

As the antenna is made shorter the matching circuit in the base of the antenna becomes more massive, resulting in more loss and less bandwidth, so these are the trade offs. But the NMO Antennas seem to be short as compared to the other 5 or 6 foot or longer antennas. Many Jeep owners use the Spare Tire Carrier to mount a short antenna. Many just need a mile or two of range, and use a real short antenna say 18" or so. The addition of a 3x3" "L" Bracket might have to be added to allow the mounting of a NMO Antenna.

I am sure if you look up NMO CB Antennas on Google you run a few dealers who sell these antennas.

Good Luck

Jay in the Mojave

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Larsen NMO27 was always my favorite. I installed a lot of those back in the 90's. With a permanent mount in the center of the roof of a full size truck or SUV, they looked a lot more professional than most of the consumer antennas, and performed very well.
Length and efficiency go together. Shortening an antenna is going to make it perform worse. The NMO-27's have a whip about 49 inches long. Shortening it will change the resonance point, and thus mess up the SWR. Nice thing about those, though, is that the whip is pretty slender and blends in. So while it may be long, it's still pretty low profile.
Since they are a higher grade antenna, you may also find they'll outlast the consumer antennas. I've still got a few from the 90's that work great.

Status
Not open for further replies.