Antenna question

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillH1

I recently lost my main antenna that I used, the Rh77ca, so I decided to test something out. I took my spectrum force antenna out of the mag mount and stuck it directly into the bnc connector on my scanner and it works really well, maybe even better than my normal antenna pulling in signals from about 35 miles away in a valley inside my house with decent signal strength and signals from about 100 or so miles when I go outside on my roof.. The antenna just slid snugly right into the hole. This may be a silly question but is this safe to do until I get a new rh77ca considering it works so well?

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
I would be careful about putting too much mechanical stress on the BNC. You could end up with an expensive repair.

Rred

"The antenna just slid snugly right into the hole."
That's the way standard banana plugs work, and the same way that "Motorola" plugs go into the back of car radios.
If it fits well enough not to damage anything, I'd say go for it. Worst case if it falls out, nothing on a radio receiver gets hurt by that. It just gets quit until you plug it back in.

Status
Not open for further replies.