Antenna question

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Can you use RG6 cable from the base antenna to the scanner?
So are we talking about 20 ft or are we talking about 120 ft LOL.

If you're going to all the trouble, put a few more bucks on your credit card and get the lowest loss coax you can. I generally use LMR 400 with all its variations and considerations. My antennas are not that high. Good luck to you.😃

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Oh, as far as what connector you use, you can use an adapter, again, how long are we talking about?

What is it you are primarily wanting to listen to. Regardless of what anybody says every little bit helps. You want to reduce the loss the best you can with ultra high frequencies. You are a good hands here!

mikekoz76

Another antenna question, for car antenna ….. in my area they use low band up to 800 MHz. What is. Good antenna that will pick up all those bands?

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
Can you use RG6 cable from the base antenna to the scanner?
RG6 is easier to work with and the loss is only a couple dB more than LMR-400 at 40 ft length at 800 MHz (I use both types). It is true the impedance of RG-6 is 75 ohms. That mis-match is generally less than a 1 dB loss. Also, most scanners are not exactly 50 ohms anyway (in fact, early scanner antennas, when you used to get cable with them, usually came with 75 ohm cable)--the truth is, you would be hard pressed to tell the difference for runs you are considering. For longer runs and higher frequencies, of course LMR-400 would win out. It is best to buy quality RG-6 if buying RG-6/ This subject gets argued hear yearly...

prcguy

RG6 is easier to work with and the loss is only a couple dB more than LMR-400 at 40 ft length at 800 MHz (I use both types). It is true the impedance of RG-6 is 75 ohms. That mis-match is generally less than a 1 dB loss. Also, most scanners are not exactly 50 ohms anyway (in fact, early scanner antennas, when you used to get cable with them, usually came with 75 ohm cable)--the truth is, you would be hard pressed to tell the difference for runs you are considering. For longer runs and higher frequencies, of course LMR-400 would win out. It is best to buy quality RG-6 if buying RG-6/ This subject gets argued hear yearly...
If you search RR you will find lots of posts where people have changed from RG-6 to LMR400 and noticed a big improvement.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
There are ways to get around the clumsiness of using LMR400. Bring it to a table top leg, and tape it with Gorilla Tape and then do a short jumper to the radio.

I tend to be OCD and believe that every inch counts. Enough said about that.

If you are listening only.. connectors and 50 ohms and 75 ohms don't mean that damn thing LOL.

Mophead

Premium Subscriber
I have two discone type antennas up on the roof along with my wellbrook loop.
I use Times Micro LMR 400 coax from the antennas down to the lightning arresters on the bottom of my one story home, then it's Belden 9258 RG 8-X from them thru my wall and onto the back of my radios.

Since I did not want to buy the strippers and crimpers and what-not I used Antenna Farm for my cables. I will use them again when I expand to other radio endeavors.

You can purchase BNC connectors that will attach to the RG-6.

Or, you can get F to BNC connectors. It's usually better to use the correct connector rather than use adapters, though.
Yes and the higher you go up in frequency like GHz’s you don’t want to use adapters because it creates loss. And it does effect receiving the higher you go in frequency. At HF it doesn’t matter, at VHF, I wouldn't loose sleep over it. UHF and above, I try to keep the run clean of adapter.

Last edited:

merlin

Another antenna question, for car antenna ….. in my area they use low band up to 800 MHz. What is. Good antenna that will pick up all those bands?
I have found the AOR MA500 mobile whip antenna about as good as any for wide band scanning.
26 to 1000 Mhz.
For base, most discone antennas don't come to life until 100 Mhz.
Again, the AOR WA5000 makes up for that, LF to 2 Ghz.

wtp

i will add that if the coax has been out in the weather for more than 5 years.
then you should replace it, you can use it but some of the signal might be getting eaten up.
and yes, if if it still works use it.