Antenna/Radio question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wally46

Feed Provider
I have an Anytone 2 meter/70 cm mobile radio in my shack hooked up to a discone scanner antenna. The problem is I get quite a bit of RF overload where it will stop on certain frequencies sometimes and make noises. My question is if I use an actual 2 meter/ 70 cm antenna like say a Diamond X50A will my receive clear up?

Short answer, no. Most of us have a lot of RFI generating stuff in our homes, one of the most annoying is a router with Ethernet cabling. This will generate noise at various frequencies especially in the VHF band, one solution is to replace all your cabling with shielded CAT cabling and try to move things around to minimize the effects. Antennas by their very nature are broadband especially at higher frequencies so swapping antennas may or may not help. Good luck, I feel your pain.

mrweather

It might help. A discone by its definition is a very broad-band antenna designed to receive a wide range of frequencies. A band-specific antenna, particularly one that has some gain, may be "deaf" enough outside of its designed range to attenuate RFI on those out-of-band frequencies.

At the very least going with something like X50A will improve your transmitted signal simply because it has more gain than a discone.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
I will make the assumption that you have ruled out the various digital modes used on 2 m and 70 cms. Cable the next big offender in my house until I changed services. Now only get interference on a hand held when close to cable source. Move 5 feet away and nothing.

K3DCX

You should see improvement.

Typically a discone antenna is very wide band. This means it will collect energy across many octaves which can impact your receivers selectivity in specific bands.

Odds are your SNR is poor and it doesn't take much to break your squelch when scanning. An antenna closer to 5/8 length of 2m should help noticeably.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Wally46

Feed Provider
You should see improvement.

Typically a discone antenna is very wide band. This means it will collect energy across many octaves which can impact your receivers selectivity in specific bands.

Odds are your SNR is poor and it doesn't take much to break your squelch when scanning. An antenna closer to 5/8 length of 2m should help noticeably.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

That's what my thoughts were also. Just wasn't sure. Thanks for your input guys

TLF82

Premium Subscriber
You're also dealing with a wide band receive radio. The front end of those tend to be fairly loose and will pick up interference more.

Status
Not open for further replies.