antenna/reception question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ozzie

Premium Subscriber
I live Forest Lake and have been monitoring the ARMER system with a pro-2096 for about 2 years now with only limited success. My understanding is that this scanner does not do a very good job on simulcast systems. I will be getting a new scanner early next year. Until then I need advice on the best way to set up my antenna system. I am thinking of pointing my yaggi at either ramsey or the metro tower and using this. I am currently monitoring with an omni-directional 800mhz antenna with aprox 70% good reception and 30% static or garbled reception. I am using LMR 400 cable at a 40 ft run. I also have all the current firmware updates in my scanner.

Raven95150

Premium Subscriber
Have you tried the Anoka system? I've been over in Forest Lake a few times and seemed to get decent reception with my 396. I'd think Forest Lake is a little far out to get a decent signal from the Metro system.

wogggieee

Premium Subscriber
I live in Hugo, I get Anoka co and ramsey co full strength and metro about 1/4 to 1/2 inside with the RS 800mhz antenna. So i'd think with a Yagi pointed in the right direction you'd do pretty well unless there is some other issue in your system.

mmtstc

Ø
Premium Subscriber
i bought 2 2096's from a guy in Wyoming who was using nearly the same setup (Yagis, LMR, etc) and he was getting great reception when i was up there on ARMER...

ozzie

Premium Subscriber
I am listening to metro and ramsey towers now. I just came down off the roof after switching my cable back to the yaggi pointed to the cities. Listened to a brief message on west metro mrcc about a pt with a syncopal episode going to abbott. All came in loud and clear. I'll have to wait and see. Do you know why the guy in Wyoming sold his 2096's if he was getting great reception??

mmtstc

Ø
Premium Subscriber
he wasnt using them much anymore so he posted them on scan fan and i happened to have a couple hundred dollars laying around...

A

alien55

Great Mmtstc !

When ' ENCRPTION TAKES OVER, you can buy all the scanners in the United States, they will all be yours, and you can pay for mine also, and about half a million others. No we can't wait MMTSTC,, he will pay for your scanner when ' ENCRPTION TAKES OVER . Thank you MMTSC, I will need your address, so I can send you the bill for my new GRE 600. Thank you! you must be one of the nicest guys on earth. Thank you for buying my scanners for me! MR. ECRYPTION

vf792

When ' ENCRPTION TAKES OVER, you can buy all the scanners in the United States, they will all be yours, and you can pay for mine also, and about half a million others. No we can't wait MMTSTC,, he will pay for your scanner when ' ENCRPTION TAKES OVER . Thank you MMTSC, I will need your address, so I can send you the bill for my new GRE 600. Thank you! you must be one of the nicest guys on earth. Thank you for buying my scanners for me! MR. ECRYPTION

Encryption may eventually be used more commonly on certain security sensitive talkgroups, but it by no means is taking over. Just ask any police or firefighter from an agency that is just joining the system if they bought encryption capable radios. Cash strapped agencies are not going to throw away an $2500 radio to buy a $3400 radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.