Antenna recomendation for FT-7800R

Status
Not open for further replies.

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
I just purchased a FT-7800R and plan to install it in my SUV. I'm looking for a good dual-band antenna and would like some recommendations. I am looking into either doing a cowl mount, mount on a Comet two-axis mount to my rear hatch or even (the best I know) going through the roof. I'm looking for a "low-profile" or not as noticeable look if possible without any loss in transmitting / reception.

I'm in the process of obtaining by license and would like to be ready a head of time.

Thank you.

kc2rgw

Premium Subscriber
For low-profile look and really good performance, I really like the 2/70B, it's down the page in the right column. All black with an open coil, just looks like an over sized cellphone antenna.

Larsen Amateur Mobile Antennas NMO 440B

The nice part with this one is the whip is extremely flexible and nothing rigid, no coils to break if you hit a branch with it.

I have an SG-7900 also, it outperforms the 2/70B for 2m simplex, but it's a big tall, rigid antenna. The 2/70B works better actually among hills and buildings because it doesn't have such a razor sharp low angle of radiation like the 7900 has.

mrweather

I second the Larsen NMO2/70B. Built tough and great performance. Though it is a little on the tall side if you're looking for a low-profile roof mount.

I've also used the following:

Maldol EX-104B
- 14" tall
- shortened 1/4 wave for 2M, 1/2 wave for 440
- very rigid
- good performance
- not available anymore

Comet SBB-2
- 18" tall
- shortened 1/4 wave for 2M, 5/8 wave for 440
- very rigid
- good performance

Both are good antennas with the Comet edging out the Maldol slightly due to it's taller height. Both of mine come in NMO flavour but keep in mind they don't seat entirely on a permanent NMO mount. And there's no proper weather gasket for the antenna base (like Larsen or other land-mobile antenna manufacturers use) so you'll have to improvise (I ended up using a regular black rubber o-ring).

ka4gfy

I would agree on the Larsen NMO 2/70. I have had them on 4 different vehicles over 20 years. They have been struck by low hanging branches, large bugs and the occasional bird and never quit.

Rich, KA4GFY

kc2rgw

Premium Subscriber
I will add, I did use the 2/70B on a compromise side mount bracket and it didn't like it much at all. It really shined when I put it in the middle of a nice counterpoise. I stuck an aluminum plate inside the fiberglass roof of my Jeep and punched a hole through the plate and the roof to mount it.

With a van you won't have any trouble like that...just punch a hole somewhere towards the center of your roof...vans are great radio vehicles...Jeep Wranglers..not so much.

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
Thank you all, hope to have my license soon and hope to talk to you all on the air. Thank you again!

Status
Not open for further replies.