Antenna recommendation for 800Mhz

Status
Not open for further replies.

squirrel

Premium Subscriber
I have a 396T and I am still using the stock antenna. I mainly scan 800mhz but I also scan VHF (154.000 range). The stock antenna seems to do a ok job on the 800 but lacks in the other bands. Can anyone recommend a good replacement antenna?

Thanks

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Last edited:

trace1

Years ago I just simply used a mag-mount cell phone antenna with my BC2500XLT it seemed to work just fine on all frequencies, yes I used a TNC to BNC adaptor. The agency I worked for at the time and several surrounding ones had just switched over to an 800MHz analog system but the conventional VHF/UHF ones were still readable.

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
Radio Shack 800mhz is the best one going now, Smaller than the antennex, and I think it does a better job, we have an Astro site 10 Miles away and the RS antenna helped decode the voice better than the Antennex

markevans

800 mhz signals

I have numerous scanning and amateur radio rigs and antennas. Some people spend many dollars on antennas and neglect the feedline. Line loss at 800 mhz can degregate signals extensively. I have installed 7/8 inch heliax cable on all my monitoring antennas with a great deal of signal improvement, costly yes, try to find some used heliax cable in your area. You will be extremely happy with the results.

any questions?
heliaxevans@hotmail.com

Status
Not open for further replies.