Antenna Recommendation for Jeep Wrangler, FT-2900r, and Teraflex Mount

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
You will need a ground (plane) independent antenna due to the mounting location. AKA 1/2 wave.

Comtelco A1812-44 VHF 1/2 wave no ground plane bright finish is what I use in applications like yours.
Mmckenna has the part number from his favorite manufacturer.

I used the Comtelco A 1812-44 on another Jeep with a bracket similar to the Teraflex, and it works well, SWR is well within limits. I did use the 3/8" NMO mount, just reamed out the hole. Jeep has fiberglass top.

I'll second this.
While I like my Larsen antennas, I do have a few ComTelco 1/2 waves in use. Two of them are on Polaris Ranger UTV roll cages. I went with the spring base models. Both of them have taken some high speed branch strikes without issue. One of them even has a permanent kink in the whip a few inches down from the top.

You can't go wrong with a name brand antenna from one of the big commercial manufacturers. Larsen, Comtelco, Antenex, Laird, etc.

Do stay away from no-name brands off e-bay as well as the Tram and Browning lines. Tram and Browning (both the same company) are made in China. The build quality isn't the same and they've only been on the market a few years. You might save a few bucks, but you'll end up purchasing a better quality antenna down the road. The few bucks you'll save won't help you when your antenna fails and you're 20 miles down a muddy trail in your Jeep. There's a reason why the public safety agencies stick with the name brand stuff.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I neglected to add this to one of the above replies.....

You mentioned using the radios while hunting. While there isn't any FCC rules that would forbid you from using amateur radios while hunting, there are SOME states that do have rules that prohibit using two way radios while hunting.
I don't know the details, and I don't know what state you are in, but it would be a good idea to look up the rules for your states fish and game department before using the radio while you are in the actual act of hunting.

Agar426

I neglected to add this to one of the above replies.....

You mentioned using the radios while hunting. While there isn't any FCC rules that would forbid you from using amateur radios while hunting, there are SOME states that do have rules that prohibit using two way radios while hunting.
I don't know the details, and I don't know what state you are in, but it would be a good idea to look up the rules for your states fish and game department before using the radio while you are in the actual act of hunting.

Fair point! I am in New Mexico, and it is legal to use radios in the pursuit of game in NM. HOWEVER, that is not at all my intended use. My intended use is for both safety (emergencie), and after the hunt communication, "I am heading back to camp, look for me in an hour or so." That type of stuff. There are several reasons for this:

1) I could get into a long, and fruitless ethical debate over this....I won't. I use my Motorola talkabouts the same way I use my ATV....only when I have to. I hike into the hunting area, and use the ATV to get the animal out, not me in.

2) I don't even turn on my talkbouts while we're hunting. I leave them off until either an agreed upon time to check in, an animal is down, or it's the end of the day. You see, we hunt by tracking, and the last thing we want is the beep or even vibration from a radio to spook something away. My uncle heard the typical Motorola chirp once, and that was enough for him to lay down the law. To be honest, due to the draw system, it is rare that more than one or two of us draw a tag, so it's been years since we have hunted as a group, as such, the talkabouts haven't even left my house in a few years, if not close to ten years! The reason for my sparked interest was simply for the safety factor, after witnessing the use during an emergency, and looking over at my son while the lost hunter was trying to get his bearings on the other end of the radio. I actually anticipate it being more useful while Jeeping or ATVing.

3) I said I wouldn't spark a debate, but for the record, my goal is to one day harvest a Boone & Crockett animal. I have come close, but not yet. B&C doesn't consider the use of a radio "fair chase," so that is enough for me.

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
OK, wasn't sure if you were aware. I know different states have different rules, didn't want to send you down the wrong path.

The FRS/GMRS radio sound effects are bad enough. Knowing when to turn the radio and cell phones off is important.

Dang, had to look up Boone and Crockett. Good luck with that.

Agar426

No kidding! A B&C mule deer is one of the most elusive, as well as most sought after trophies in the west, if not in the entire hunting community! A B&C elk, while not being easy to come by, holds greater odds in this day and age. Drawing a quality tag is the key. I actually had a chance at a B&C muley when I was a teenager/college freshman. My uncle was quicker on the trigger, and it is currently on his wall. It was an amazing experience....one that many western hunters don't get to experience.

KC5AKB

Some NM links
HDARC – The High Desert Amateur Radio Club – The Hottest Amateur Radio Club in New Mexico!
NM5ML
w8uzzjeep can we say Hf antenna
The more you study and read you will have more questions.
There is also a Boy Scout thing called JOTA once a year.
Radio can be lots of fun and a great thing for the kids
So many differant things you will never be able to do them all.
Have fun is the main thing . Ask questions of the other hams you meet
Every one has a idea . Tell the wife it is a good way to keep up with the son
She might even find some other xyl's ( Ladies) to talk to we have a YL group that has a net
The ladies talk first then the guys at the end .
Later
Ric

Status
Not open for further replies.