Antenna Recommendation needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

waveone

Good morning all,

I have a Kenwood TS 2000 that I’ve never used. It’s virtually new so I’m looking to fire it up.
However I’m looking for the most appropriate antenna to install in order to do so. Not brand but the most effective type that will allow broadcasting w/ out a repeater if necessary.

What I’ve asked is understandably broad based, but it does provide a basis to start

thank you all

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Yes, this is way too broad. Let's narrow this down - 'without a repeater', you say. I'm assuming here you're talking about VHF and UHF. There are NUMEROUS applications that might fit here- and some do involve getting the right kind of antenna. So please narrow your criteria down somewhat. I am having this thread moved to our Amateur Radio Antennas forum where it will pick up more eyes.

Mike

waveone

Yes, this is way too broad. Let's narrow this down - 'without a repeater', you say. I'm assuming here you're talking about VHF and UHF. There are NUMEROUS applications that might fit here- and some do involve getting the right kind of antenna. So please narrow your criteria down somewhat. I am having this thread moved to our Amateur Radio Antennas forum where it will pick up more eyes.

Mike
Yes sir, that’s correct. A multi band application that is not dependent on a repeater, though there are repeaters in proximity in the area of N Texas that I’m looking to mount the antenna in.
The reason I’ve qualified it this way is because it’s uncertain that the repeaters listed are even functioning. Which is why I believe the antenna should be geared that way

thank you

waveone

That radio does HF, 6 meters, 2 meters, 70 centimeters and 1.2GHz,

Which bands do you plan on using?
That’s a good question since the 2cm is all I’ve used to date on my Yaesu.
It would be great to use all of those including 20 meter

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
A good start for HF could be an Off Center Fed, or an End Fed antenna. In fact two OCF antennas perpendicular to each other will help with directivity for TX and RX. Avoid various HF verticals that offer multiple bands without requiring numerous radials. Much depends on how much money you want to throw at it, such as a tower, rotor, and more money for a better antenna. Based on your request, working HF is not something you often do. I recommend one of the wire antennas I noted to get started before dropping plenty-o-cash on improved equipment. You can find Off Center Fed, or End Fed antennas that will handle various bands from 160 to 6 meters. I am more of a fan of OCF antennas at home, but like end fed for portable use. Besides an OCF antenna, I also use a Hexbeam which is a multiband antenna. My K4KIO hex handles 20, 15, 10, 6 and one of the WARC bands. This antenna uses a rotor to direct RX/TX and works well enough for me. I purchased it used and shipped for a very low price. It performs well for what it is and it is worth full retail price to me. Still, there are bigger, better and more costly antennas.

For VHF/UHF on that radio you can use a single dual band antenna and a diplexer to feed the ports, or use separate antennas. You could even use switch and go from using an omni directional antenna, to a Yagi, or Satelliete antennas depending on what you want to work.

You requested most effective and that's fine if you want to throw money at it right away. A solution may be to use a high gain omni directional antenna and then switch to a Yagi and use a rotor to improve TX/RX as you dial the directivity in. Dedicated antennas for the VHF and UHF bands would be a step in the right direction whether omni or a directional Yagi as the TS2000 has dedicated ports for each.

Coaxial cable is also just as important. For HF I use LMR-400 which some may say is overkill. I also use LMR-400 for VHF/UHF, but LDF4-50A 1/2" Heliax is an improved coax, especially for UHF. For that I use pliable patch cables that are easy to manage as the 1/2" Heliax is rather stiff.

Take your time and keep asking questions and reading up. Remember, everyone's location is different. What works well for me may be worse, the same or better at your location. There is no "one" antenna solution. Well, there is this antenna at the Titan Missile Museum. I have worked stations that were using the antenna over the years. I plan on driving, or flying and rent a car for a few days and enjoy using that antenna myself. Something to do.

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
You may want to consider the antenna port arrangement as well. The radio has 2 antenna ports for the HF/6 bands and the 2, 440 and 1.2 bands each have an individual port.
Bill

Hit_Factor

For the 2 m, 70 cm, 23 cm I recommend the Comet Tri-Band VHF/UHF Base Vertical Antenna GP-95. N-connectors throughout with LMR400 or better coax.

For the HF antenna an OCF would probably be a good start. But there are so many options. If 20m is the only HF band you are interested in, a beam antenna with a rotor would be really nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.