Antenna Recommendation needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

logan19

Premium Subscriber
I recently bought a BCD536HP. I want to buy a antenna with a magnetic mount for my vehicle, but I don’t know what to look for in picking a antenna.
A lot of the ones I see are very short and I’m not sure if they are worth buying. I live In north Louisiana zip code 71251 if that helps.

questnz

Check this thread.

Check Laird or Larsen Triband antennas paired with quality NMO mount

Last edited:

WB9YBM

I recently bought a BCD536HP. I want to buy a antenna with a magnetic mount for my vehicle, but I don’t know what to look for in picking a antenna.
A lot of the ones I see are very short and I’m not sure if they are worth buying. I live In north Louisiana zip code 71251 if that helps.

Usually the rule of thumb with receive antennas is the larger the antenna, the more capture area there is for capturing a signal. The one cautionary aspect of mag mounts is the quality of the magnet--try to avoid the cheap ones--so the antenna doesn't come loose at high (highway) speeds. Also check the laws you plan on driving through as far as where it's legal to have a scanner in the vehicle--I've been told laws can vary quite a bit between municipalities.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
but I don’t know what to look for in picking a antenna.

Durability, reliability, known name brand.

The Larsen NMO-150/450/800 is a good choice. It's a known good performer from a reputable company that makes professional grade antennas. Avoid the hobby/ham grade crap antennas from China.

Get a good NMO mag mount bast, Larsen and Laird are two good choices. You can order with the connector you want on the end, so get one that matches your radio.

Ideally, you want to do a permanent install, as it solves a lot of the cable routing issues that mag mounts create.

Status
Not open for further replies.