Antenna recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billjones91581

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I have the Radio Shack 20-176 "Sputnik" on my flat roof 2 floors up. It's good except the VHF-High band channels come in really fuzzy, and the 800 MHz reception isn't as good as I'd like it to be, so I'd like to upgrade. Should I get a ST2? Or would the ST4 get better reception? By better reception I mean I want to receive weaker VHF-High channels and more distant 800 MHz signals better. I'm near Flint, Michigan BTW.

Last edited:

WA1ATA

None of the antenna mentioned (Sputnik, ST2, ST4) have much gain at VHF hi, so I would not expect any significant difference.

OTOH, if you haven't done so already, going to a low loss coaxial cable will improve your reception.

Getting the antenna higher up so it has a better line-of-sight to the transmitters you want to receive can also dramatically improve your reception.

Billjones91581

Banned
None of the antenna mentioned (Sputnik, ST2, ST4) have much gain at VHF hi, so I would not expect any significant difference.

OTOH, if you haven't done so already, going to a low loss coaxial cable will improve your reception.

Getting the antenna higher up so it has a better line-of-sight to the transmitters you want to receive can also dramatically improve your reception.

How are the ST2 and ST4 on 800 MHZ though? The 800 MHz band is more important to me since almost everything here is MPSCS (800 MHz P25); there's only 3 public safety agencies left on VHF High (though I listen to railroad and air traffic control sometimes). Plus some of the elements of my Spunik rusted off and are MIA (I guess I should have mentioned that in my first post) so I want to replace it with something better. Any other suggestions?

Last edited:

jackj

I use a discone with my 996T. It is NOT as good as a resonant, 1/4 wave whip but it covers a much greater frequency range. I'm using about 75' of 9913f coax and I hear 800 MHz towers 20 - 30 miles away. I can't tell you that it would be right for you but I'm happy with it.

LtDoc

As the above posts have indicated, getting that antenna higher will make more difference than the antenna by it's self. Of course, repairing/replacing that damaged antenna certainly can't hurt either. Using a feed line with little (smaller) losses at the desired operating frequency isn't a bad idea. At least for me, that's a matter of some debate with my wallet. Something on the order of '9913 or LMR-400 isn't unreasonable performance wise, now all I have to do is convince my wallet.
Good luck.
- 'Doc

Billjones91581

Banned
I decided to give the 20-176 "Sputnik" another chance, in case my bad VHF High reception is because of the missing elements. I just got back from Radio Shack with a new one. If not, RS has a 30 day return policy. :)

I might get a taller pole too before I put it up and see if that helps.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.