Antenna recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

TexScan780D

Premium Subscriber
I am looking for a scanner antenna with VHF\800 receive and Armature Radio antenna 2m/440 each approximately 12 inches long. I want to mount each antenna to the luggage rack of a Chevy Blazer. The 12 inch is the height of clearance from the luggage rack to the garage door. Any other recommendation on mounting locations is greatly appreciated.

thanks

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
For VHF/UHF I use the following. This allows me to park my SUV in the garage and enjoy the radio as well.
- Diamond K9000LRMO motorized mount (The "O" is the oversized version) This is attached to the roof rack.
- Diamond NR770HB VHF/UHF antenna
- Diamond C101 mount & coax

I do not use anything specific for 800 MHz, but DPD has something that is low profile.
DPD Productions - Scanner, Aviation, NOAA, Low-Band, 700 MHz Public Safety, Base & Mobile Radio Antennas for Commercial & Hobbyist Applications

N5TWB

I'd recommend you strongly consider Vagrant's suggestion on the motorized mount because your 12" limitation is a problem for VHF band due to simple physics that says a quarterwave antenna will be approximately 19". UHF amateur can be a 6'' quarterwave and 800 can be a 3" quarterwave.

TexScan780D

Premium Subscriber
The 12 inch restriction is unrealistic for VHF. Could you go with an "L" bracket at the hood seam? Maybe one on each side.

The driver-side would be best since the AM/FM antenna is on the passenger side. I have notice a lot of Amateur Radio Operators have a setup like this. My question is would the antenna be to close too the driver while transmitting?

TexScan780D

Premium Subscriber
I'd recommend you strongly consider Vagrant's suggestion on the motorized mount because your 12" limitation is a problem for VHF band due to simple physics that says a quarterwave antenna will be approximately 19". UHF amateur can be a 6'' quarterwave and 800 can be a 3" quarterwave.

Good information thank you.

TexScan780D

Premium Subscriber
For VHF/UHF I use the following. This allows me to park my SUV in the garage and enjoy the radio as well.
- Diamond K9000LRMO motorized mount (The "O" is the oversized version) This is attached to the roof rack.
- Diamond NR770HB VHF/UHF antenna
- Diamond C101 mount & coax

I do not use anything specific for 800 MHz, but DPD has something that is low profile.
DPD Productions - Scanner, Aviation, NOAA, Low-Band, 700 MHz Public Safety, Base & Mobile Radio Antennas for Commercial & Hobbyist Applications

Well I already have a Diamond NR770HB and a Diamond hatchback mount that I was using on another SUV, I had to manually lower the antenna for the garage. I looked up the motorized mount and notice they recommend not using it during 32 degrees or below is this a draw back?

teufler

You might consider a L-bracket mount. On the hood between the hood and the fender. Usually they are mounted on the opposite fender that the radio antenna is mounted on. Many police and EMS truck type vehicles use them. This would allow a dual band of the Larsen 800, vhf/uhf triband antenna. The antenna should not be any taller than your existing car radio antenna.

TexScan780D

Premium Subscriber
You might consider a L-bracket mount. On the hood between the hood and the fender. Usually they are mounted on the opposite fender that the radio antenna is mounted on. Many police and EMS truck type vehicles use them. This would allow a dual band of the Larsen 800, vhf/uhf triband antenna. The antenna should not be any taller than your existing car radio antenna.

You all have good suggestion on antennas since I have the Larsen VHF/UHF/800 antenna and the Diamond NR770HB antenna. Is the Larsen UHF connector? The Diamond has see a little bit of paint scrape off.

fieldho

Premium Subscriber
Mobile Scanner Antenna

I just got a Laird, tri-band, closed coil (receive only), the all black model. How high is your luggage rack, this antenna is about 18 1/2" overall mounted without the spring base. NMO through hole mount gives me the added function of a ground plain roof. It cost me $28.97 shipped to my door. The scanner is a Uniden BC-15X. Everything about an antenna is a compromise. The laws of physics dictate the length of the antenna for you application. If you can make up the distance desired by lowering the mount to the roof, you will be satisfied. Since this is a receive only antenna, no worries about RF radiation and this antenna has great scanner coverage. I'm hitting bands that were silent before including CB and 800 mhz.
Another thought would be replace your existing AM/FM antenna with good scanner antenna and just split the signal with the AM/FM radio. I would have done this with this antenna but I already had an extra NMO on my roof. Remember, without a good ground plain, you're only getting half the goody out of you antenna.
I am not an expert on antennas or scanners so any corrections would be greatly appreciated by all parties concerned.

I just got a Laird, tri-band, closed coil (receive only), the all black model. How high is your luggage rack, this antenna is about 18 1/2" overall mounted without the spring base. NMO through hole mount gives me the added function of a ground plain roof. It cost me $28.97 shipped to my door. The scanner is a Uniden BC-15X. Everything about an antenna is a compromise. The laws of physics dictate the length of the antenna for you application. If you can make up the distance desired by lowering the mount to the roof, you will be satisfied. Since this is a receive only antenna, no worries about RF radiation and this antenna has great scanner coverage. I'm hitting bands that were silent before including CB and 800 mhz.
Another thought would be replace your existing AM/FM antenna with good scanner antenna and just split the signal with the AM/FM radio. I would have done this with this antenna but I already had an extra NMO on my roof. Remember, without a good ground plain, you're only getting half the goody out of you antenna.
I am not an expert on antennas or scanners so any corrections would be greatly appreciated by all parties concerned.

I hate to but in this thread but was it this antenna?

https://www.tessco.com/products/displayProductInfo.do?sku=15243&eventGroup=4&eventPage=1

Status
Not open for further replies.