Antenna Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chevyman22360

Looking to update my outdoor base antenna. Currently have a Diamond D130J ( Some of the bottom radials off the d130J are missing) about 40' in the air with LMR400 cable coming down to shack. Don't need the wide frequency range as the discone offers. Need just 144-160 mhz and 450-470 mhz. Looking for an upgrade wondering what you all recommend. Thanks

MDScanFan

That is some good antenna height. How is the discone working for you currently? Do you get good enough reception for what you are trying to hear? If so, then perhaps just a replacement discone?

The DPD Omni X was the first thing that came to mind as a non discone alternative that spans that range. It would give you about the same gain as a discone, maybe a smidge more.

Chevyman22360

That is some good antenna height. How is the discone working for you currently? Do you get good enough reception for what you are trying to hear? If so, then perhaps just a replacement discone?

The DPD Omni X was the first thing that came to mind as a non discone alternative that spans that range. It would give you about the same gain as a discone, maybe a smidge more.
Monitoring the SD State Trunking system and having some issues pulling in one site. Worked fine up until a month or so ago. I was thinking possibly a band specific I could do better? Maybe not?

MDScanFan

A band specific antenna(s) would give you the better performance (higher gain) than a discone. What is the specific frequency of that site you are having trouble getting?

It may be hard to find something that meets that exact vhf bandwidth in a higher gain omni. But if you find something that is centered on your problematic frequency or center of band, then maybe the performance roll off at the edges is acceptable.

Monitoring the SD State Trunking system and having some issues pulling in one site. Worked fine up until a month or so ago. I was thinking possibly a band specific I could do better? Maybe not?

Status
Not open for further replies.