Antenna recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

hunfgruf

my house is constructed of steel frame enclosed concrete, I was just wondering if i could use the steel construction as an antenna in some way, any suggestions would be good. As area I live is out in the sticks and in a dip.

LtDoc

I have to think that it wouldn't be the most usable antenna. But, try it and see how it 'hears', it might surprise both of us. I once used a set ot rail road tracks for an antenna. No, it wasn't 'good', but it worked. And no, I wouldn't recommend it. (The crossing signals went wild!)
- 'Doc

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_4 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11B554a Safari/9537.53)

"Out in the sticks" usually means rural, plenty of space, no zoning restrictions, no homeowners association. What is keeping you from putting up antenna(s)? Physical access/ movement limits, etc? Knowing more about your situation will get you better answers here on RR.

hunfgruf

My friend suggested that i should have a vertical antenna and use the metal in the house as an "earth"

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_4 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11B554a Safari/9537.53)

He may have meant to mount a vertical antenna on your roof and use the metal frame of the building as the counterpoise / ground. I did this once and it worked very well on the steel reinforced concrete building I was in. From Okinawa I was able to regularly make SSB QSOs to CONUS with 100 watts.

Last edited:

LtDoc

Use that building metal as the 'other half' of the antenna? I think it ought'a work. Won't guess about how well it'll work, but it should work. I also think I would expect some possible interference to electronics inside that metal structure. I have no idea how much or to what, but it wouldn't surprise me if there was some. I think I would have to try it just to see...
- 'Doc

PrimeNumber

Look up "Ufer ground"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ufer_ground

I learn something new here every day. From the article:
A disadvantage of Ufer grounds is that the moisture in the concrete can flash into steam during a lightning strike or similar high energy fault condition. This can crack the surrounding concrete and damage the building foundation.
I'll bet that's freekin' spectacular to watch. Assuming, of course, you remain conscious and survive...

Status
Not open for further replies.