Antenna separation

JamesBrox

I was listening to a conversation about the distance needed for separation between two antennas for RX and TX on a repeater without a duplexer. The conversation was on a GMRS channel. So, let's say for an example there's a 650 repeater..... what's the proper separation between the 467.650 and the 462.650 antennas or a calculator page I can go to? Thanks

James WRXU693

ecps92

You need to add to your thoughts, not only just your repeater, but what other Transmitters are at the site.
You would be best to look into a Duplexer

Usually 2-3 Feet of Vertical separation, but other factors can come into play.
How good is the repeaters RX and how it handles overload.

WA0CBW

According to the Motorola Technical data sheets using half-wave dipole antennas you need about 25 feet vertical and 500 feet horizontal separation to get 70 db of isolation. The Decibel Products Engineering notes have the same chart.
Bill

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
You would generally need a band pass cavity on the transmitter and receiver even with vertical antenna separation. Many transmitters spew out some broad band noise that lands on the receive frequency, especially in a budget setup using cheap radios. Many years ago I played with split antennas and no band pass cavities on a repeater and it just never worked out, there was always some desense.