Antenna Set Screws

Status
Not open for further replies.

billyfromhill

Premium Subscriber
Is it OK to use blue loctite/thread locker on the set screws of a Larsen NMO150/450/800 antenna? I recently had the whip fly off my car on the freeway leaving just the antenna base, spring, and cone behind. The set screws that hold the antenna in the cone must have vibrated themselves loose and some thread locker should prevent this.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
It should be fine to use loctite. FWIW if the set screw is tight, it should not come loose. I have had a NMO2/70 for almost a decade, and the screw is as tight as the day I installed it. My company has a cap load of Larsen, Maxrad and Sinclab antennas(VHF, UHF and Cellular) in use in the oil patch(dirt roads that are not very well maintained) here in western Canada and we have never had any whips come loose either.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
I would recommend purple. Never had one vibrate loose though.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Blue Loctite FTW. DO NOT use purple or you will never get the setscrew loose again. Blue bonds strong enough to prevent the screw from vibrating loose but not so much you can't remove the screw if needed.

nyair1

Blue Loctite FTW. DO NOT use purple or you will never get the setscrew loose again. Blue bonds strong enough to prevent the screw from vibrating loose but not so much you can't remove the screw if needed.
Blue is medium duty strength. It will be good for that

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

DJ11DLN

Blue is medium duty strength. It will be good for that

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Another +1 for blue Locktite. A speck will do it. Only use that purple stuff if you're absolutely sure that you will never need to loosen the setscrew again...or want to eventually have to drill it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.