Antenna setup question

Status
Not open for further replies.

shott8283

Running into a problem with choosing the correct antennas for my desired setup. right now I have a cb with dual whips, I only run one whip (to avoid cancellation problems), i also have a dedicated 800 antenna for my mobile radio for the fire dept. now that im not longer a chief i want to put in a 800 trunking scanner to moniter our dispatch and other units. I would also like to monitor 46.180 and 46.220 for a neighboring county that doesnt use an 800 system. do i need separate antennas Y'ed into my scanner to pick up the 800 (little antenna) and a larger antenna to pick up the 46 freqs? not too sure how well the 800 antenna will pick up the lower freqs

code3cowboy

If you are downgrading to a scanner, one antenna will suffice. Use a VHF quarter wave and you will wind up pleased.

shott8283

so a VHF quarter wave will pick up both 46 and 800 freqs well? do you have any suggestions as to what make and model of antenna i should look for?

rmosier

If you have approx. $78 to spend. The Austin Spectra that I have on the back of my Jeep Wrangler (fiberglass roof = poor ground plane) and it still works grrrreat! Expensive, but well worth the money. You'll need a "NMO" connector on the end of your coax (which they also sell).

http://www.rfwiz.com/AustinAntenna/AustinAntennaSpectra.htm It's near the bottom of the page.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.