Antenna shootout in Los Angeles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

prcguy

I need to run a comparison between some antennas in the near future using a spectrum analyzer and various on air signals from a local hill top.

I was thinking it would be great to get all the major scanner antennas that people constantly ask about and compare them all under the exact same conditions and publish the results. I have a garage full of common and not so common antennas to compare and if there are others in the So Cal area with specific antennas to test we could all meet at the same location and I could bring the test equipment, cables and mast.

I propose within the next few months we have a RR antenna shootout on weekend and location to be determined. I live near the Los Angeles harbor area with a nearby park on a hillside with a good view of San Diego to downtown Los Angeles and points further northwest.

I would use everything from amateur repeaters to VHF/UHF 800 repeater outputs, aircraft ATIS and basically any constant fixed station carrier across all bands to use as reference signals.

I have portable spectrum analyzers that can resolve to .1dB for very accurate measurements and the exact same mast would be used for all base station measurements.

We can also test mobile antennas using the same vehicle with NMO mounts or ??

Let me know if anyone is interested in this , what weekend is good and what antennas you may have to test.
prcguy

zguy1243

Thats the best idea I have seen posted here. I am all ears. I need to send you a antenna out there to add to the lineup....

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
Thats sounds like a blast, lots of fun. Wish I was was out that way, love to join you all. Test some of that home brewed stuff while your out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.