Antenna Signal Amplifier for truck...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DocDaddy

I use a couple of signal amplifiers for my BCT15's (1 at home - 1 at work)
50-900 MHz 12db Amplifiers.

My question is... Is there a similar amplifier that I can use in my pickup with a BCT8 - thanks.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Have you considered improving the car antenna first? What are you using now? 73 Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
A compromise you really don't need to make. What freq range(s) are you primarily interested in? Do you often go to a parking garage or other low-ceiling structures? We've got LOTS of links in our Scanner Antennas wiki article (note: all links are in blue)

An amp in a mobile enviornment is likely as not to amplify every and all signals and noise together - a particular problem if you are in an urban environment. Better to improve your antenna than have the potential for overloading, spurs and other garbage. 73 Mike

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Nothing works better than using a proper antenna for the band(s) you're trying to listen to! Using a pre-amp when mobile will actually work against you by amplifying noise.
n9zas

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Another thing to consider is that, with respect to other fixed base antennas, a mobile is low in height - so unless you are up on a hill or mountain, your reception is compromised right from the start, regardless of the antenna you get.

The best solution is to get the best mobile antenna you can get, and get it as high on the vehicle as possible. 73 Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.