Antenna spacing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob

I am mounting a dual band anteena on top a twenty ft mast on top of my roof single story. Would it be safe to mount a wide band discone scanner anteena ten ft below off set 3ft horizontal?

dward42586

Premium Subscriber
I don't have experience with discones but I would imagine that you will have considerable desense on the scanner when you transmit. Have you had a chance to put the antennas up yet?
The antennas would be more than a wave-length apart at the vhf frequencies. They won't interfere with each other. I don't know of a scanner you can transmit on.

MUTNAV

Premium Subscriber
When you say "safe" you are talking about the safety of the scanner when transmitting, right? Roofs are really expensive and of course there are other factors to antennas and masts (power lines, neighbors, lightning etc...) a blanket "yes, its safe" isn't necessarily wise.

For example if you ask a doctor is taking an aspirin is "safe", it's reasonable to either get a "maybe", or an interrogation.

Sorry for being a wet blanket.

Thanks
Joel

Firekite

The antennas would be more than a wave-length apart at the vhf frequencies. They won't interfere with each other. I don't know of a scanner you can transmit on.
I don’t think the concern was direct interference, and I can’t imagine anyone was suggesting scanners can transmit. The concern is whether the strong transmission from the dual band (presumably 2m/70cm) antenna would cause problems for the scanner receiving so closely.

prcguy

The spacing should be good enough to run hundreds of watts on the dual band antenna and not damage a receiver connected to the Discone. I would expect interference on a scanner connected to the Discone while transmitting with any power on the amateur bands.

I don’t think the concern was direct interference, and I can’t imagine anyone was suggesting scanners can transmit. The concern is whether the strong transmission from the dual band (presumably 2m/70cm) antenna would cause problems for the scanner receiving so closely.

Status
Not open for further replies.