Antenna Split

Status
Not open for further replies.

willieg66

Novice here, go easy on me.

If I put up a discone antenna in the attic, can I have a splitter to run wires to 2 different places in the house ?

Hit_Factor

OK, less expensive option. Get a splitter and put 50 ohm termination on the end not in use. Then buy a multicoupler if you have rx problems.

Drkatzjr45

Emeritus Member
Premium Subscriber
I don’t think you would need a splitter… I didn’t

It just depends on your space and situation

prcguy

If you split the antenna, under perfect conditions using a proper splitter, you will loose at least 50% of your signal to each radio. If you use a "T" adapter to split things it will cause even more loss loss at some frequencies. You might consider a remote controlled RF relay that you can install in the attic to feed two cables, then wire it up so it defaults to your main receiving spot and when you power up the other radio it will automatically route the antenna to that radio with no loss.

ka3aaa

Premium Subscriber
i put coax between the splitter and the scanner using an F connector on one end and a BNC or what ever connecter it is on the other.

a417

i put coax between the splitter and the scanner using an F connector on one end and a BNC or what ever connecter it is on the other.
Ok, so you did use a splitter then. I misunderstood when you said you didn't.

ka3aaa

Premium Subscriber
every one has their own opinion and way of doing things, but this is how i do mine and it works. I have six scanners on one antenna 20 feet in the air on sifferent trunking systems with two of them with their transmitters 20 miles away.

How you do it is up to you but you wont learn how to make things work unless you play around and experiment.

a417

I am merely asking if you did or didn't use a splitter. You contradicted yourself in your first post. I didn't know if you did multiple runs of coax, an antenna switch or something else. I was looking for clarity, you're apparently taking it as criticism.

Have a good day!

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
A multicoupler is the way to go if running more than two radios off an antenna. A 3dB loss from a decent 2-way splitter is usually tolerable, but for more than that, you want an amplifier to offset the signal loss.

Firekite

Ok, I didn’t realize they would be that expensive.
How much did you pay for your scanners and antenna and coax? If you're doing it right, and you care about receive strength for anything other than high power signal sources nearby, spending $150 for a good multicoupler is probably a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.