Antenna switch question

Status
Not open for further replies.

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
I tried my Diamond X510 on my scanner recently (40 foot feed point) to hear public safety stuff, and all I can say is wow! Really impressive, and better than any scanner antenna short of a beam for 150 MHz / 450 MHZ. So now I am considering something that is probably sort of dangerous, but I want to see how dangerous.

Normally the antenna is connected to my TM-V71a, but I am considering using a Diamond antenna switch that I have lying around to allow me to switch the antenna between being connected to the ham rig or the scanner.

My concern is what would happen if I (in a moment of stupidity) decided to throw my call out on with the ham rig, while having the antenna switched over to the scanner (not realizing that I had left it set to the scanner, and not checking first). I know that this is obviously a bad thing, but how bad would it be for the radio? Would it be bricked?

LtDoc

I don't think you'd 'burn up' the radio, but I wouldn't want to take that chance, you know? There are probably several ways to 'remind' yourself about that switch positioning. Simplest way I can think of it mount that switch where you have to see it. Don't ask me how to do that, I can't answer it. Having a non-varying habit of always looking at that switch first comes to mind. But knowing how I am with habits, that's another one'a them 'gott'cha' thingys.
And just for grins, does that switch 'ground' the unused position? That's a nice thing to do...
Good luck.
- 'Doc

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
I don't think you'd 'burn up' the radio, but I wouldn't want to take that chance, you know? There are probably several ways to 'remind' yourself about that switch positioning. Simplest way I can think of it mount that switch where you have to see it. Don't ask me how to do that, I can't answer it. Having a non-varying habit of always looking at that switch first comes to mind. But knowing how I am with habits, that's another one'a them 'gott'cha' thingys.
And just for grins, does that switch 'ground' the unused position? That's a nice thing to do...
Good luck.
- 'Doc

Yeah, it grounds the unused position for isolation. So if I were to key up, I could be sending 50 watts directly to ground. Thanks for the advice, it seems sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.