Antenna Tower Grounding

Status
Not open for further replies.

birdieboy

I am starting my search for an antenna tower and would like some pointers about how to ground the actual tower. I have lightning arrestors on both my UHF antennas which sit currently on the top of my house. What am i going to need to ground the tower, i did a google search and was overwhelmed with info. Thanks

tom

k9rzz

Read, read, and read some more until you KNOW. The info is all out there.

Just to be clear, what kind of tower? how tall?, etc.

birdieboy

I am looking to put up a 48 foot self supporting, the town its going to be in will allow anything under 50 without a permit.

Tom

Alliance01TX

Premium Subscriber
Antenna Grounding

Howdy

I am sure other folks will chime in with various options, but I would say adding at least two (2) 4' or better yet 8' Copper Ground Rods (buy them at Home Depot / Lowe's / RS...) then use #6 solid copper ground wire to connect the rod systems to the tower.

My view is to separate the rods by at least 4' from each other & ensure the 'bond' between the ground wire and tower is very good, as you will have dis-similar metals, which can and sometimes cause metal corrosion. You might have to get creative with drilling a couple of holes or develop a clamp for the tower ground wire to bond correctly...Also, check / remove / clean and tighten all connection points at least semi-annually is my opinion.

Getting the good tower grounding system will help reduce (not prevent) a transfer of voltage to your radio's and it sounds like to already have suppressors on the Coax....I would also ensure a like grounding scheme just prior to entry into your shack too.

Hope this helps....

Thx

Bill

Ground Rods, grounding and ground wire are 'inexpensive' as compared to losing a couple of good radios and associated gear....

K

kb0nly

I have two towers up, both self supported Rohn towers..

KBØNLY Tower #1, #2, links on the left side.

That might give you some ideas. I need to update the pictures a little bit, i have since added some additional stuff, but most of it remains the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.