antenna tuners

Status
Not open for further replies.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Although I've never personally used one with my 706MKIIG, I've heard from others that have and like them better than the AT-180 that matches the 706 series.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
I have the LDG AT-897 and Z-817. I've been very happy with both of them. They can match a wider range of impedances than the Yaesu OEM tuners according to reviews that I've read. LDG makes good products and what little I've needed customer support has been good. I have a 706MkIIG, but use it mobile on VHF and UHF mostly so I've never bought a tuner for it.

freebird63

I'm only using a 102" whip. Can't afford a screwdriver antenna. I am mostly interested in 20 meters. Though 80 meters I hear is fun. I am curious if the LDG would tune a 102" whip for 20 meters?

FeedForward

I am curious if the LDG would tune a 102" whip for 20 meters?
An antenna tuner adjusts an antenna to resonance at the feedpoint. A transmitter tuner (my term) presents 50 ohms to the transmitter so it won't blow up when it tries to feed a random length stub of wire. For mobile HF, for example, the center loaded adjustable whip is tuned to resonance manually by adjusting the loading coil. Placing a "tuner" at the transmitter is just preventative maintenance.

FF

W3DMV

You might also consider the Icom AH-4. It plugs into the back of the rig and you can
operate it with the rig tune button. There was a used one on QRZ.com yesterday at a reasonable
price.
I have also owned several LDG tuners and they work fine.
One of the big problems with the tuner and 8 ft whip is that on 30-80 meters is the
tuner will appear to tune the antenna but the voltage at the base of the antenna can
become very high and I have arced over and destroyed half a dozen base insulators
over the years. Even many of the big hefty insulators seem to break down over time and
fail when running 100 watts.
Other considerations: Hustler mast with the band resonator These work well and you
can get a little adaptor plate and have resonators for three bands at the same time. These
are readily available used.
If you can survive single band operation, then consider a "Ham Stick" whip. The cost is
low and they work well.
I'm a old guy and getting out and changing whips gets old real quick. The screw driver
antenna is a great way to go but as you said, the cost is obnoxious.
Good luck, and hope you find the combination that works well for you. Most of us who
have been on the air for years have a garage full of old antennas and parts left over
from previous attempts to find the ultimate antenna....

Status
Not open for further replies.