Antenna type to get

Status
Not open for further replies.

cnmsales

Trying to decide what antenna I will need. I plan on monitoring a 800 mhz moto system about 40 miles away and a p25 about 40 miles. I currently am able to reach to 800 system on my telescope antena when im on the third floor of my house. But the plan is to have the scanner on the 1st floor.

So #1 Duckie antenna for 800mhz. Will this antenna create that much improvement over the telescoping antenna im currently using?

#2 I may decide to go with a scantenna for at home. So first question, will this provide that big a difference over the telescoping antenna I have. And Outside VS Attic. Will being outside make that big a difference from in the attic? If so, how much of a diff will there be?

Lastly when i see talk about antenna it talks about db gain. How does this work exactly. Is there a maximum DB that is say what perfect reception is?

Thanks for the info.

whiskeytango

u have metal somewhere outside that you can put a mobile magnetic antenna...ie a/c unit on the roof. hows your line of site to the 40 miles away tx? if u have the scanner near a window itll help too.

cnmsales

Line of site is pretty straight fwd. Not much in the way of hills and valleys, mostly trees. No were metal to place it.

Id still like my original questions answered if someone has an answer to them. Thanks!!!!

whiskeytango

So #1 Duckie antenna for 800mhz. Will this antenna create that much improvement over the telescoping antenna im currently using?

#2 I may decide to go with a scantenna for at home. So first question, will this provide that big a difference over the telescoping antenna I have. And Outside VS Attic. Will being outside make that big a difference from in the attic? If so, how much of a diff will there be?

Lastly when i see talk about antenna it talks about db gain. How does this work exactly. Is there a maximum DB that is say what perfect reception is?

my bad, didnt notice u said "scantenna." the duckie will help in teh 800's but the scantenna will def improve your rx remarkably, outside is better than attic, but both would be an improvement. how are u thinking about mounting it?

where in nv are you?

cnmsales

Not in nevada, in NUVEHDUH MO lol and actually dont live there any more, need to update that. Thinking about doing a pole mount attached to side of house. How big a diff are we talking between inside vs outside?

Status
Not open for further replies.